snolly50

Display Stand Project

ynot

Nicely done.

Tell the truth here, it was really the snolly wife that did this - wasn't it?

I know snolly could never accomplish an artwork of this magnitude.

Ynot

PS :thumbsu:

Sagebrush Steve

Very nice, @snolly50!  You’ve taken it a step further with your bends than I did (I just used round nose pliers to make my bends), and I like your choice of exotic woods.  Those will make great additions to your display. 

Fossildude19

Wonderful work, Sir Snolly.  :) 

Well done!

Wrangellian

Interesting idea, snolly... I don't know if I have any fossils that would withstand this kind of display but I could imagine going on a spree with ideas along these lines.

Tidgy's Dad

That looks great. 

And not too overly complicated for someone of my DIY abilities (practically zero). 

I might give that a go.

oldtimer

Very nice display stands and you are correct sir when you say it's a better display than flat on a shelf.

I have been brain storming ideas for easy to make stands and you have given me ideas,

digit

Splendid work, Snolly!

As a reformed woodturner (haven't had the time lately) I instantly recognized those bases as exotic hardwood bowl blanks. I only bought one once at a Woodcraft store while buying some supplies. It was an interestingly patterned piece (possibly Zebrawood) but I have long since given that piece away.

I need to spend some time and make some nice display stands for a few of my pieces that would benefit from being raised from "resting on a shelf". I like that you've used artisanal shellac made from flakes. Shellac is an interesting natural "plastic" that has an interesting source and history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

Cheers.

-Ken

RJB

Some really neat work there snolly.  

RB

FossilDAWG

Very nice work! :wub:

On another note, you live beside a lake?  Nice!  Bet you get to see herons all the time.

Don

aplomado

Lovely!

How did you make a jig for bending the wire?

Troodon

Between you and Steve need to brush up on my woodworking skills.  Nice displays

Ludwigia

There's always something special about nicely made unique objects like these, custom made to fit the occasion.

snolly50

Thanks to all for the kind assessment of this effort.  

Thanks to @Troodon for expert assistance in ID of the fossil chevrons.

23 hours ago, ynot said:

Tell the truth here, it was really the snolly wife that did this - wasn't it?

I know snolly could never accomplish an artwork of this magnitude.

Indeed the snollywife is chiefly responsible for any progress snolly has ever made.

9 hours ago, digit said:

I like that you've used artisanal shellac made from flakes. Shellac is an interesting natural "plastic" that has an interesting source and history:

Part of the fun of this project was learning a little about shellac. Mixin' up my own made me feel like I was doing something time-honored.

6 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

On another note, you live beside a lake?  Nice!  Bet you get to see herons all the time.

Yes, we find ourselves very fortunate to be on this small lake. The narrow bit of land close in the photo is a 100 yard long island. We see Herons in the Summer. Right now it is flocks of Canada Geese passing through and little diving Grebes, making a living on the lake.

6 hours ago, aplomado said:

How did you make a jig for bending the wire?

The jig was an inexpensive purchase. It's a small aluminum rectangle that is screwed down to a rail in my garage. It has a variety of slots and movable pins to facilitate bending. I imagine a 2X4 section and some well placed nails could accomplish the same results.

fossilized6s

Nice displays, Sir Snolly. 

Pagurus

Lovely display.

DSCN2439ac.thumb.jpg.43378879ecc9cbf33242337d2f3b3806.jpg

Stretching for the sun
Bending with the wind, perhaps
Yearning for the past

snolly50
9 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Stretching for the sun
Bending with the wind, perhaps
Yearning for the past

Mike, thanks for the free verse addition. It certainly reinforces my thesis; fossils can strongly contribute aesthetic value. I certainly agree with collectors exercising a strong scientific bent to their efforts. However, I see little impediment to having the best of orientations; viewing the fossils for what they teach; and admiring their incredible Nature-wrought form. Both approaches engender wonder and enjoyment.

digit

It's a left-brain/right-brain hybrid containing scientific specimens artfully posed and now labeled with appropriate Haiku.

Seems like some of us are primed and ready for another poetry contest sometime in the new year.

Cheers.

-Ken

JohnBrewer

Great job J, certainly shows of your chevrons well and I like the wooden base, nice and organic.