Crab's Fever

MB

1 hour ago, DLB said:

this one isnt preped yet that's why I acquired it  in Hope's it will be like the other one I prepped out

15687691373304734134041367170663.jpg

I was referring to ur previous preps, I didn’t realize this post went so far back. Your prep work is awesome though 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:29 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I have heard that the pit that used to produce these has been flooded for several years now.

This is a late response but I heard it got buried by a hurricane about 20 years ago?

RB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

A tiny girl. Zanthopsis dufouri from lower eocene of southwest France

Beautiful little crab, caterpillar.  Did you find it looking so nice, or did you prep it?

Cute little crabbie, very nice.  I like those small crabs, often moe detailed than the big boys.

• 1 month later...

My son bought this concretion from a friend of mine in New Zealand.  The rock is from the Canterbury Formation and Miocene in age.  My son is still in the beginning stages of learning how to prep and kinda beat this up while exsposing it.   I found out this crab is new to science and has no name.  I was in the process of trying to get it studied and then donated, (Alex Oso) but the museum in Christchurch seems to be closed and has not answered my email.   I told my son Im just going to hand it back to him and he can do whatever he seems fit.  I just dont have the time to get this done. Purty dang cool crab though!   My friend from New Zealand tells me he knows a guy who has one of these  so there are only 2 of these in the world!    Oh, this rock measures 4 inches across and it still needs some work.

RB

DSCN0611.JPG

DSCN0593.JPG

DSCN0594.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, RJB said:

My son bought this concretion from a friend of mine in New Zealand.  The rock is from the Canterbury Formation and Miocene in age.  My son is still in the beginning stages of learning how to prep and kinda beat this up while exsposing it.   I found out this crab is new to science and has no name.  I was in the process of trying to get it studied and then donated, (Alex Oso) but the museum in Christchurch seems to be closed and has not answered my email.   I told my son Im just going to hand it back to him and he can do whatever he seems fit.  I just dont have the time to get this done. Purty dang cool crab though!   My friend from New Zealand tells me he knows a guy who has one of these  so there are only 2 of these in the world!    Oh, this rock measures 4 inches across and it still needs some work.

RB

DSCN0611.JPG

DSCN0593.JPG

DSCN0594.JPG

Love it!!

• I found this Informative 2

Cephalopods rule!!

Ok, here is one for you guys.  It doesnt get much rarer than this!!!   My son goes to eastern Montana to hunt for fossils about 6 times a year.  Its a HUGE area but he goes east of a little town that has the best freakin donuts in the intire world!   Oh, the town is called Roundup.  Hes always after those big Placenticeras ammonites but he ran into this on his last trip.  Trip before that he ran into a huge ammo that is 29 inches!!!   Anyways, This is a very important fossil and should be dontated and studied and added to science, but it may sit in my little crab collection for awhile.  This crab is in the inside of the living chamber of a baculite!!!   Its not purfect and my son did save all the pieces he could find but they are so small that I really dought I have the skill to put them back onto this crab plus there are little pieces missing,,, but still.  I did put all the pieces of both the crab and the baculite into little plastic jars, labeled and dated them. 

SR001A.JPG

SR001B.JPG

On 5/31/2020 at 2:09 PM, RJB said:

Ok, here is one for you guys.  It doesnt get much rarer than this!!!   My son goes to eastern Montana to hunt for fossils about 6 times a year.  Its a HUGE area but he goes east of a little town that has the best freakin donuts in the intire world!   Oh, the town is called Roundup.  Hes always after those big Placenticeras ammonites but he ran into this on his last trip.  Trip before that he ran into a huge ammo that is 29 inches!!!   Anyways, This is a very important fossil and should be dontated and studied and added to science, but it may sit in my little crab collection for awhile.  This crab is in the inside of the living chamber of a baculite!!!   Its not purfect and my son did save all the pieces he could find but they are so small that I really dought I have the skill to put them back onto this crab plus there are little pieces missing,,, but still.  I did put all the pieces of both the crab and the baculite into little plastic jars, labeled and dated them. 

SR001A.JPG  SR001B.JPG

That is fascinating!!

Cephalopods rule!!

On 01/06/2020 at 5:55 AM, MB said:

Yes, I as said in other forum that's a relevant find, few cases like yours are known, Gale Bishop and René Fraaije are noticed of your find.

congrats.

:)

Is this from the Genus Cancer? Reminds me of Cancer novaezealandiae. Very rare at this site.

Here's my first attempt at making a Zanthopsis dufouri concretion into a 3D display.

001top.JPG

002front.JPG

003rear.JPG

• I found this Informative 1