Crab's Fever

MB

MB,

I am glad to see that several of your crab specimens are prepared with the Telson showing instead of the Carapace. While it might be strange to most, when I have prepared my crabs, I usually only prep the Carapace of one specimen and the Telsons of the others. I find them more interesting to look at. The Carapaces can be uninteresting/featureless. However, I should also say that most of the crabs I've found have been legless.

Hi NAL,

Ventral sides of crabs are very importants, really most than the carapaces features.

In the past only de carapaces features placed the fossil crabs in a family or other ones.

Now, most of the paleontologist are also biologist or are in very close contact with they, and learn that more of the ventral and abdominal features are more important for the determination and the familiy placement of fossil and extant crabs.

Now, a lot of fossil crabs were reviseds with the ventral point of view, and removed of their original placement.

For this reason I'm crazy replacing my photo's crabs in my web after that each new work have been published.

I will put you an example, with this photo of the ventral side of this little fairly fossil crab and similar other ones, this crab specie was removed from Goneplacoidea superfamily to the Portunoidea(2008).

First Ommatocarcinus zariquieyi, now Viaophthalmus zariquieyi, Via,1959

I will be happy seeing photos of your crabs, for me, are importants, with or without legs.

Have a good day.

post-41-1206652857_thumb.jpg

post-41-1206652884_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last week end, sunday morning, not crabs in outcrops :(

But at home, boried, I saw a little chunk of rock (5 or 6 cms....) who was the matrix of a little cretaceous crab claw, and broke it with a little hammer...

3 crabs inside:

Eomunidopsis

Plagiophthalmus ?

Goniodromites

I was happy the rest of sunday... :)

post-41-1207915460_thumb.jpg

post-41-1207915516_thumb.jpg

post-41-1207915562_thumb.jpg

:)

Hello guys and gals,

I dont want to tire you with repair or preparation techniques, but althought I'm overseas, I have experimented with the west pacific coast concretions, and when the fossils is for my own collection, I dont have any problem with the reparations or restaurations, here is one of them .

:D

Wish I could do that. I'm like Tim Taylor from Home Improvement.

Hello all,

Not giant crabs this time, either the great and wild crab trip, just playing with my crabs boxes, I find a little concretion from US Pacific Eocene, several hours of minimalist work later, here the results, a nice Palaeopinnixa rotundus... BUT near its left arm, what you can see? another even tiny crab carapace, outline and regions may tell us that this is different than Palaeopinnixa, but beeing bot from the same concretion and formation, I leave it as Pinnotheridae like Palaeopinnixa.

enjoy

:)

post-41-1208095388_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208095415_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208095425_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208095435_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208095444_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

MB

Looks like a baby!! ^_^

The concretion had an unfortunate break but your work has made it a keeper

Nice to have two in one small package

Cephalopods rule!!

Hello people :)

Not xtreme fossil trip this week end either, for first time after eleven months, it is raining here, everyboy at home, it is a perfect day to prep fossils and uploading few photos on my web.

Here are another one fossils crabs preppeds yesterday and today.

I have add a new album on my web, another Superfamily: Hexapodoidea, with several photos:

http://groups.msn.com/MBFossilcrab/hexapod...886.msnw?Page=1

Enjoy

;)

post-41-1208703536_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208703575_thumb.jpg

post-41-1208703628_thumb.jpg

Crabs attacks !!!!

Hello everybody, the fossil crabs preparation it is not an activity exempt of risk.

I'm not talking about risked trips on the creeks and bla bla bla... but sometimes, those bugs are very perverse and aggressive, they can attack you with irreversible results.... :blush:

Take care...

post-41-1209800263_thumb.jpg

post-41-1209800286_thumb.jpg

post-41-1209800304_thumb.jpg

Wow, most cool too! I thought you were joking at first, as I don't

know much about crabs, and didn't realize they even had teeth. I

usually never hear it mentioned. I looked it up and found a fossil pdf with pics

of the claws and teeth. Yours are in great shape too, better than the ones in the

article.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, most cool too! I thought you were joking at first, as I don't

know much about crabs, and didn't realize they even had teeth. I

usually never hear it mentioned. I looked it up and found a fossil pdf with pics

of the claws and teeth. Yours are in great shape too, better than the ones in the

article.

Hi Roz, what type of pdf you found?

Crabs are very dangerous, time ago one of them bit me, I suffered a mutation and I was transformed in Spidercrab , later another mutation converted me in MB (RB knows my sad story... ) :wacko:

Now, I can't stop to looking for crabs, eating crabs, prepping crabs... :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...