Crab's Fever

MB

Hi all

someone of you, sent me this chunk of rock, and told me :

"MB, inside there is a good lobster" ... I was doubtful, but now, having glued it and cut it, perhaps he has right, but the question is ... what type of lobster are there inside?

Like this ones or like the others ????

What do you think, guys???? :blush:

post-41-1217698084_thumb.jpg

post-41-1217698121_thumb.jpg

post-41-1217698141_thumb.jpg

post-41-1217698170_thumb.jpg

post-41-1217698191_thumb.jpg

post-41-1217698211_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dang MB

All the lobsters look great. Love the fossilized one,

and lobster is my all time favorite food. That dish looks

great, and I would be hungry when looking! :P

Welcome to the forum!

Hey MB, that lobster dish looks great! If I had a jet, id fly over for dinner. And whoever gave you that rock must be a very nice super guy!!!

Looking at your pictures makes me want to prep a lobster now!

I did tell you that the tail end of that one will be curled. Also, you will want to be careful with the claws, especialy the bigger one. Sometimes it is hollow! Yikes! Just fill it with glue. Both claws on your specimen went beyound the concretion, but the good thing is that the smaller one is not buried by the larger one. And Ive only once seen a complete large claw! I wish it was mine. Good luck fella

RB

post-171-1217934263_thumb.jpg

Hello gals and guys,

I'm back from a short fossil trip type: father, son, dog... and some crab, while mom is working. :blush:

(post and pictures soon...)

But all you guys are welcome to dinner with me, when you want, you can to use the RB's jet to come here.

RB, this "whoever" is a great, big, first, guay, chulo, super, duper, chachi guy than I know in those side of the sea :D

What methods do you use when preparing these great fossils?

I have been finding quite a few crab concretions lately, the visible parts of the exposed shell are impressive but it would be cool to see what is below the rock hard matrix in other areas.

I have been prepping a fossil spider crab for sometime and the material is just so soft.

Do you have any Miocene crabs?

You have some amazing crabs pictured here.

Send me them and I'll prpped them for you :D just kidding.

I'm using all the methods for clean them, mainly mechanical, airscribe, sandblaster sometimes, little lancets, tongue, water, teeth brush... and sometimes chemical methods, basis and acids.

But beeing always very careful end before prepping... learning, there is a lot of times that a fossil is destroyed in order to make him more commecrcial look , or searhing a good display.

I'll be happy if you send me photos of your crabs, specially your spider crab.

I'm always interested in news crabs, and yes, I have miocene crabs, but anyone from your country.

thanks for read :)

Do you have knowledge of Pliocene (Zanclensean) Mediterranean crabbies? In the local museum I use to colaborate, we`ve got some rests, but we can ID them, `cos, or they a re incomplete, or they are prints on the matrix.Now I have no pcs of them, but I will try to post them someway.There are residual species from Miocene in the formation! By the way, here goes a pic of the museum

post-62-1218568737_thumb.jpg

The replicas in the background are of Argentinian dinos, and actually you can see the Pliocene exposition on the right.A pity! there was a lightbulb that was broken at that moment. :blush:

Do you have knowledge of Pliocene (Zanclensean) Mediterranean crabbies? In the local museum I use to colaborate, we`ve got some rests, but we can ID them, `cos, or they a re incomplete, or they are prints on the matrix.Now I have no pcs of them, but I will try to post them someway.There are residual species from Miocene in the formation! By the way, here goes a pic of the museum

post-62-1218568737_thumb.jpg

The replicas in the background are of Argentinian dinos, and actually you can see the Pliocene exposition on the right.A pity! there was a lightbulb that was broken at that moment. :blush:

Hi, yes, I know a little bit the neogene mediterranean fauna, and for sure I could be helpful for your museum.

Send PM or picutres, but not answer before 10 days more or less, because tomorrow mornig I'm going in holidays.

Thanks for the contact.

:)

here are 2 pics of the crab Longusorbis Cuniculosis showing the ventral side from Vancouver island B.C..

Guest N.AL.hunter
this little ghost shrimp is trying real hard to get out.

Really nice crabs Bone Digger. Really love the claw sticking up! Its just begging "Help ME!"

this little ghost shrimp is trying real hard to get out.

Name that one "Han Solo" (apologies to Geo. Lucas).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a partial claw I picked up today MB...this is typical of much of the crab material that is found in Calvert Cliffs...I have found some much better than this in the past.

post-680-1218645483_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks for post it.

difficult to say what it is, but it suggest a big claw of portunoid crab type.

I'm back for a long holidays trip, I'll posting some pics of the stuff I picked up there...

Most fascinating! Their forms are so varied; I can see why you like them so much.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

More finds... and yes, I was helped :)

Very Cool! The only crab material I have are some claw fragments.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Better be careful or your son may one of

these days out hunt you. Great to see so

many kids interested in hunting at an early age.

Welcome to the forum!