Crab's Fever

MB

MB

Is that some species of Harpactocarcinus? I'm prepping some more Dakoticancer australis in my garage as we speak. You can never have too many crabs!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very, very, very nice! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi all,

It's done.

After some hours the "Big Boy" is prepared, washed and combed.

Seeing him, we can assuming that this boy was for a walk, showying about its big... arm and troubling the lovely young crab ladies, we can think, yes, .

But new finds introducing doubts about the behaviour of those machotes.

I'll follow informating you.

post-41-1221385949_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

It's done.

After some hours the "Big Boy" is prepared, washed and combed.

Seeing him, we can assuming that this boy was for a walk, showying about its big... arm and troubling the lovely young crab ladies, we can think, yes, .

But new finds introducing doubts about the behaviour of those machotes.

I'll follow informating you.

post-41-1221386030_thumb.jpg

post-41-1221386042_thumb.jpg

post-41-1221386053_thumb.jpg

Well, the crab sure looks good now! That one

has excellent details. Bet you are pleased.

Can't wait to hear the new facts of their behavior....

Welcome to the forum!

Very nice job; another triumph for MB :applause:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Well, the crab sure looks good now! That one

has excellent details. Bet you are pleased.

Can't wait to hear the new facts of their behavior....

-_- Mmmmm..... well, the scenario is:

Zanthopsis genus (dufouri in this case) is as far the most popular and abundant crab in the early eocene, Ypresian, of the atlantic Tethys sea boundary, so UK, gulf of Biscay, and the Pyrenes of France and Spain.

Ilerdian are the maximum splendour of this genus, the summit. Yes, on the outcrops you can see hundreds of corpses of those crabs, but something is happens.

What? more of them are males, most of them are rude males with a big, very very big right arm, as you can see in my pictures (I'm wondering who is able to walk with this... :wacko: ) and the following question is obvious: where the girls ????? :blink:

Perhaps they stay burieds on the mud? afraid for such excess of testosterone ??? :o

I'm not sure, but the fact is that the proportion between males and females are extraordinary high in favour of the males :(

The other and important fact is that in the end of Ypresian, during the Cuisian, was the beginning of the end for this genus, yes, Lutetian age see how other Carpilioidea genera, as Harpactocarcinus and Harpactoxanthopsis were replacing the Zanthopsis crabs.

This a mistery, a good point to investigate it.

Now, new proofs and evidences could give us the answer. <_<

PS the pictures shows a supossed normal behaviour of Zanthopsis crab, boys annoying the little girl

post-41-1221414686_thumb.jpg

post-41-1221414698_thumb.jpg

Edited by MB
  • I found this Informative 1

Hi MB,

Great specimens and pictures. Have you seen this? London Clay, Isle of Wight, specimen. Select "London Clay" and "Other taxa".

http://www.dmap.co.uk/fossils/

Hi Bill, thankyou very much for the link, useful .

Two male crabs (more evidences... :o ) for me, if moulting one of them i would show signs of disarticulation and there is not, both seems complet.

;)

....if moulting one of them i would show signs of disarticulation and there is not, both seems complet".

Not my website, but I agree.

It looks to me as though one male has mistakenly grabbed another during a breeding frenzy.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

....if moulting one of them i would show signs of disarticulation and there is not, both seems complet".

Not my website, but I agree.

It looks to me as though one male has mistakenly grabbed another during a breeding frenzy.

Shades of "Broke-Carapace Mountain". With so many more boys than girls, very agressive behavior could result.

Shades of "Broke-Carapace Mountain". With so many more boys than girls, very agressive behavior could result.

:blush: Good point and good direction Auspex.

I have some evidences in my hands, but I need to make the autopsy to the corpses and send it to CSI .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey MB,, The same thing with those lobsters. With all the ones that I found, even though lots were just parts, everyone but one was a male, and lots of them were molts.

RB

Hey MB,, The same thing with those lobsters. With all the ones that I found, even though lots were just parts, everyone but one was a male, and lots of them were molts.

RB

Hey RB,

I this case they are not molts, but two rude and big males, and we are investigating if they are fighting for a beautiful female crab or singing songs of Village People... :o

I dont know, will see what says the CSI... B)

post-41-1222963333_thumb.jpg

post-41-1222963374_thumb.jpg

I this case they are not molts, but two rude and big males, and we are investigating if they are fighting for a beautiful female crab or singing songs of Village People... :o

"We love to dance with the C. R. A. B.....!"

• 2 weeks later...

She's a beauty! :wub:

Really great job, looks as real as your red one! :D

How long is it taking you to prep the entire crab out?

Welcome to the forum!