Crab's Fever

MB

I don't think I have a favorite crab? I do like to prep out the Pulalius crabs just because they can turn out so beautiful. As long as a crab, any crab, ends up with really nice preservation, lots of legs with some tippy tippy's and two perfect claws, then that's my favorite.

MB: those little concretions look very scary! Im thinking Eocene but ive forgotten for sure. and im very happy for you being all better and stuff.

RB

• 2 months later...

Fantastic crab MB! There is a new fossil site in Calabria (south) that is just now described. the matrix is very similar to that and lots of crabs have been found there. Do you know where your came from?

Fantastic crab MB! There is a new fossil site in Calabria (south) that is just now described. the matrix is very similar to that and lots of crabs have been found there. Do you know where your came from?

of course, the mine comes from the vicenza area, I know the name of the quarry and his locality, but despite the label says Bartonian I think that that's Oligocene.

Let me know about your new fossil site in Calabria. Who described it?

I think that Trumbaca' is not accessible anymore,the one I was referring is late Pleistocene and has the same fauna of Trumbaca' but I don't know where is exactly located. Lots of wonderful Pisa Armata and Scylla have been found there. There was another quite similar fauna near were I live, in Castelnuovo Berardenga, but the site is exausted. I would have liked to be born earlier, when all that quarries were open for collecting fossils. Veneto region was a paradise for crabs, especially the quarries near Vicenza, but everything is now closed. I'm too young for collecting crabs here in Italy :(

Hi Glu, yes I know well the Veneto crabs area and yes it was (it is) a paradise.

I saw lately in a fossil fair a strange Italian fauna, labelled as Pliocene-Italy, with wonderful little crabs, Pisa-like included, too wonderful in my opinion, but I have do not paid much attention on it, very expensive and I had doubts if they are artifacts or not. How old you are?

:)

The Pisa I saw were at the university where I study, found by an amateur collector, so I assumed they were real but I'm not an expert. I'm 19, I hunt for fossils since I was very very young and I've always liked crabs. I only recently focused on them because of their price. I have bought an air scribe a few years ago so I trade fossils that I usually find near where I live for unprepped crabs. I know that Veneto is still good, but sites are now in the woods and not so many know good spots ( I don't). So I hunt in Tuscany, Sardinia and Piedmont for crabs

The Pisa I saw were at the university where I study, found by an amateur collector, so I assumed they were real but I'm not an expert. I'm 19, I hunt for fossils since I was very very young and I've always liked crabs. I only recently focused on them because of their price. I have bought an air scribe a few years ago so I trade fossils that I usually find near where I live for unprepped crabs. I know that Veneto is still good, but sites are now in the woods and not so many know good spots ( I don't). So I hunt in Tuscany, Sardinia and Piedmont for crabs

Thank you for confirm us the the authenticity of those fossils, anyway they are running by the fossil market... but unaffordable for my pocket. What is your university, who are the experts that will study the specimen?

Tuscany is a very good place for the fossil crabs also. Veneto will give many surprises still ;)

Keep in touch ;)

Edited by MB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MB, I am in need of your help in identifying the species for my crab fossil from the Pliocene of Guangdong, China.

Should be Galene but do you possibly know what species?

post-4996-0-73485200-1332113278.jpg

post-4996-0-42743900-1332113307.jpg

• 1 month later...

Of course, it's Galene bispinosa (Herbst, 1794), but I'm not confident on its age... are you sure? I was always doubtful on it.:mellow:

I would be happy to know the exact geology of the outcrops.

I too would be interested in this information. 

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Went for my first trip to Motunau in New Zealand. 

Its famous for fossil crabs, at least amongst fossil addicts. Seems this fame is now spreading over into "popular culture". Here's a cafe that's new near the turnoff to the fossil locality, aptly named Fossil Point. Couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it! Even has a picture of the most common crab Trichopectarion  greggi 

image.jpeg

Being my first trip it took me a while to get my eye in for the right concretions.

The most interesting find was this:

image.jpeg

My my guess is that this is a pincer from Metacarcinus novaezelaniae 

(Piecrust crab).