Crab's Fever

MB

Two Leucosids more... smile.gif

Where do ones like this come from?? :o

How have i never seen this thread? It's huge and amazing!

Imagen_178..jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 4 weeks later...

hi crabs lovers...

a beautiful crab from the pliocene of morocco. what kind of specie is it ?

post-2284-0-94123900-1458731023_thumb.jpg

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

Hi jnoun11. Your interesting fossil crab from the Pliocene of Morocco looks like the fiddler crab Uca tangeri. Nice finding!

Where do ones like this come from?? :o

How have i never seen this thread? It's huge and amazing!

Imagen_178..jpg

Hi Ash, !

Nice you like this thread and you find it useful.

This crab come from Japan, possibly Holocene but very well cemented.

Sometimes cement is just sand but many of them are harder than the Eocene concretions of RJB from Washington.

Curious, and a study of this fauna is needed but my friend in Japan is harder than this cement :(

If you want more info see at Leucosioidea in: www.mbfossilcrabs.com

Salut !

:)

• 3 weeks later...
post-11650-0-23963500-1460338376_thumb.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Don't know the crab species, but it came from Darwin, Australia.

post-11650-0-26897300-1460338398_thumb.jpg

post-11650-0-61430000-1460338404_thumb.jpg

post-11650-0-99023000-1460338410_thumb.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

So, I am curious...

For you crab lovers, what is your favorite species? Personal favorite specimen? And species/specimen you would like? And the ever-dreaded question on school assignments...Why/Explain?

Edited by Jesuslover340

Macrospinus I think that is how it is spelled it has been the most difficult to prep and I've never found the perfect one.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am curious...

For you crab lovers, what is your favorite species? Personal favorite specimen? And species/specimen you would like? And the ever-dreaded question on school assignments...Why/Explain?

Dear Jesuslover340 :)

The last count my database collection shows a total of 539 different species (mainly brachyura) identified and registered of about 3.000 specimens of fossil crustaceans.

Each and every one of them are important to me.

Favorites? again all of them, for many reasons namely: by anecdotes during the day I found it, by the time I was preparing it, for the difficulty of preparation, by the hardness of the trade with other collectors, by its price, by its scientific value, for the important information it provides to science, the collector who friendly gave it to me, because it is a species described by me, or simply because I love them....

How many more reasons do you want? :)

This is enough for you? satisfied?

Please, feel free to ask whatever you want about fossil crabs ;)

Cheers

:)

• I found this Informative 1

Well said MB, I'm just as attached to all my fossil crabs as well. Perhaps my favourite is the first full Longusorbis that I found, it was love at first sight. MB's site is well worth a visit, I use it a lot for Ids and just to see the classification system.

Cephalopods rule!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

After some troubles in my health and in my garage, I'm ready to prep again :)

Following the TFF trend of working on large crab concretions, I've started a little bunch of them for a friend.

:P

post-41-0-18153900-1463556972_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-04972700-1463556973_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-99801200-1463556973_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Beautiful specimens, MB! Are they Miocene Palaeopinnixa? Cheers

Hi, Paleopinnixa, Raninoides, and so on, Eocene or Oligocene of Oregon I think, RJB would confirm it... are you there RB???? :)