Crab's Fever

MB

On 7/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, Doctor Mud said:

Is this from the Genus Cancer? Reminds me of Cancer novaezealandiae. Very rare at this site.

Not a Metacarcinus novaezealandiae , this is a different thing, to follow, will see...    :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, MB said:

Not a Metacarcinus novaezealandiae , this is a different thing, to follow, will see...    :unsure: 

Forgot that’s not cancer but Metacarcinus.

Did it used to be Cancer? 

So is the new one being studied? 

1 minute ago, Doctor Mud said:

Forgot that’s not cancer but Metacarcinus.

Did it used to be Cancer? 

So is the new one being studied? 

Cancer novaezealandiae it was transferred to the genus Metacarcinus as subgenus by Nations (1975) and elevated to the genus status by Schweitzer & Feldmann in 2000 in his revision of Cancridae.

Regarding the Coleton's crab, it could be studied, but not yet, because there are some steps to follow before. It could be a new thing in my opinion, but it's early to say it .

Will see...

:)

On 5/27/2020 at 8:32 AM, RJB said:

My son bought this concretion from a friend of mine in New Zealand.  The rock is from the Canterbury Formation and Miocene in age.  My son is still in the beginning stages of learning how to prep and kinda beat this up while exsposing it.   I found out this crab is new to science and has no name.  I was in the process of trying to get it studied and then donated, (Alex Oso) but the museum in Christchurch seems to be closed and has not answered my email.   I told my son Im just going to hand it back to him and he can do whatever he seems fit.  I just dont have the time to get this done. Purty dang cool crab though!   My friend from New Zealand tells me he knows a guy who has one of these  so there are only 2 of these in the world!    Oh, this rock measures 4 inches across and it still needs some work.

RB

DSCN0611.JPG  DSCN0593.JPG  DSCN0594.JPG

Is this a Glenafric or Motunau crab Ron?

Never seen one like that before!

My latest Tumidocarcinus from New Zealand. That small claw was hard to prep as it looks like it collapsed during rock forming. 

7CB51AD1-EDD3-4F7B-8747-00E693D18CCD.thumb.jpeg.de84fcc1eee5b91c4f128dce6b08edd0.jpeg

C2105D7E-7651-4A3D-9D15-B9DB7E6EB1F8.thumb.jpeg.fb39245edde864ee8472b9e833db2498.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

11 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

My latest Tumidocarcinus from New Zealand. That small claw was hard to prep as it looks like it collapsed during rock forming. 

7CB51AD1-EDD3-4F7B-8747-00E693D18CCD.thumb.jpeg.de84fcc1eee5b91c4f128dce6b08edd0.jpeg

C2105D7E-7651-4A3D-9D15-B9DB7E6EB1F8.thumb.jpeg.fb39245edde864ee8472b9e833db2498.jpeg

Love it!!

Cephalopods rule!!

14 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Is this a Glenafric or Motunau crab Ron?

this similar from taranaki,north island ,new zealand. paddle crab  portunidae familyDSC07091.thumb.JPG.62c1b3d4472e8c69ad61613b143fe674.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

On 6/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, Dave (POM) Allen said:

this similar from taranaki,north island ,new zealand. paddle crab  portunidae family

DSC07091.thumb.JPG.62c1b3d4472e8c69ad61613b143fe674.JPG

That’s a beauty :wub:

If you missed the other thread, here’s my current project. Very sticky. Only mm sized bits of matrix will come off most of the carapace and the legs (where they are black). So it’s remove matrix till you are close then microjack under the scope. 40-50 hours in so far. About 25 cm across

B73E471D-5FEA-4C1C-9BB0-3E82EF7E081D.thumb.jpeg.b07454884626811863559d935804bcc4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, MB said:

Why do you think it's a Portunidae crab? :zzzzscratchchin:

i dont know ,if you could help with identification that would be great if i have it wrong .,very similar to Australias big mud crabs possibly Scylla serrata 

its an undiscribed crab from the Miocene north island New Zealand

On 16/06/2020 at 5:26 AM, Dave (POM) Allen said:

this similar from taranaki,north island ,new zealand. paddle crab  portunidae familyDSC07091.thumb.JPG.62c1b3d4472e8c69ad61613b143fe674.JPG

Very strange prep on lateral spines. It looks fake

42 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Very strange prep on lateral spines. It looks fake

i dont know why i would fake it. i think you mean awesome preservation

2 hours ago, Dave (POM) Allen said:

i dont know why i would fake it. i think you mean awesome preservation

I'm not saying you made a fake, it's just an impression. The lateral spines have no consistency or regularity.

It may also be a pathology

9 hours ago, Dave (POM) Allen said:

i dont know ,if you could help with identification that would be great if i have it wrong .,very similar to Australias big mud crabs possibly Scylla serrata 

its an undiscribed crab from the Miocene north island New Zealand

No, I don't know at the moment being, but not Scylla and neither Portunidae in my opinion.:zzzzscratchchin:

26 minutes ago, MB said:

No, I don't know at the moment being, but not Scylla and neither Portunidae in my opinion.:zzzzscratchchin:

I could have an idea, but the front and lateral margins should be a little more worked yet .

On 6/15/2020 at 7:13 AM, Doctor Mud said:

s this a Glenafric or Motunau crab Ron?

Glenafric

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...