stratigraphic problem.

terapoza

Hi. Around year ago I was exploring the area around Lough Hackett 20 km north from Galway. I found few fossils on the shore with much different fauna than typical late Visean fauna in Co. Galway. The main problem here is stratigraphy. It's similar to british Avon group of Mendips. I think all of them are Tournaisian. 

Fig1. Large piece of iron-stained black crinoidal limestone.

20171219_141211.jpg

Edited by terapoza

Hi, I don't think there's anything easily diagnostic there, I've seen very similar material from the upper Visean (Brigantian) of NE England.

I suspect the third one is a productid brachiopod with a few spine bases and prominent growth lines making it look like segments, something like Antiquatonia.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin

I agree. 

The British Lower Carboniferous is zoned based on either microfossils or goniatites, and corals, sometimes by brachiopod - coral assemblages. 

Nothing diagnostic in these pieces that i can see.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well. I ve never found such a big stems in the quarry and on the seashore.those are more than 1 cm in diameter. Usually I find 0,5 cm max. If it is Visean , is it possible that they were living on the different depths of the sea? Also my pictures are very bad quality because today is very bad light. I had one Leptagonia sp. From this site but lost it somewhere.

A different environment for the crinoids is entirely possible - you can even get get lenses of species different from the indigenous ones carried by mud slides down subterranean slopes.

At one Brigantian site I know, the crinoids can be 30mm diameter while in the same bed a few miles away they're not much more than 10mm, apparently the same species though it's hard to be sure.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Can you explain why ?

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg