Jump to content

December 19th, 2017 trip to the Peace River


Recommended Posts

This has been a pretty disappointing year so far, with the season delayed by high water levels and then very poor results on trips to the Santa Fe, Withlacoochee and Peace when I finally could get out. This last Tuesday yielded reasonable results which I'm thankful for since the trip was a scouting expedition in preparation for a Christmas Eve trip with @Cam28 and @Max-fossils. Most of the vertebrate finds are pretty typical.

 

DSCF1484.thumb.jpg.228a14bcff5d82582a129db9c1da6c1f.jpg

 

My favorite find, though, was this sand dollar that looks like it had been dropped into the river after being professionally prepped. 

 

DSCF1485.thumb.jpg.ba44187e2c3947ef96e6cf9984e050dc.jpg

 

DSCF1486.thumb.jpg.35a1f17a5a0ccc2d492c1e5edb80ef1e.jpg

 

We find thousands of fragments of these while we're screening, but this is the first complete one I've run across. I think it's the best find of the day.

 

I'm hoping Paul and Max will get something on our trip that will make it memerable. 

 

 

 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sacha said:

My favorite find, though, was this sand dollar that looks like it had been dropped into the river after being professionally prepped. 

Very nice!

Like the way it is attached to the burrow cast, really sets it off!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sand dollar would be the find of the year for me. Probably Abertella dengleri, "A new species of Abertella from the Late Miocene Peace River Formation of Hardee County , Florida" Osborn and Ciampaglio 2010.

  • I found this Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
crabfossilsteve

Wow, I think that sand dollar piece is tooooo coool.  That's definitely more than a "find of the day".  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful finds, especially that gorgeous sand dollar. 

Splendid! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sacha said:

 

I'm hoping Paul and Max will get something on our trip that will make it memerable. 

Gee, I don't know about that.  Did you leave anything for them to find?!

 

That sand dollar is beyond unreal to find already to display like that. Wow!

Link to post
Share on other sites

All of your other finds put together that day pale in comparison to the sand dollar!! I love a bit of matrix with a fossil. Good luck, Cam and Max!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The sand dollar would be the find of the year for me. Probably Abertella dengleri, "A new species of Abertella from the Late Miocene Peace River Formation of Hardee County , Florida" Osborn and Ciampaglio 2010.

 

Thanks Al! I was hoping for an ID. These have such a large diameter and are almost paper thin. I don't know how I didn't hit it with the shovel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All of those finds look very nice to me, but the sand dollar is special all right. That is amazing that it was unbroken! :) Very cool to get an ID as well. ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should throw that up for ifotm John, that’s a great piece. I have one creek here that I’ve come close to getting a whole one but not yet

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, that sand dollar is wonderful! Of course I'd also be thrilled with just about everything else you found too! Good luck to you all on your Christmas eve hunt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic trip. I second that the sand dollar would be my find of the year. I agree with Al Dente's possible ID also, very very cool find.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Fantastic trip. I second that the sand dollar would be my find of the year. I agree with Al Dente's possible ID also, very very cool find.

 

Thanks for the confirmation on the ID. I have to admit that these comments have me looking at this sand dollar with more respect than I originally had when I found it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great finds. 

 

Since it it is a Sand $, I will buy it off you for $2 US since I am feeling generous. You could  then get a hamburger or another tasty morsel  at McDonalds. The offer is only valid for 10 minutes, then it is off the table.

 

:hearty-laugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Since it it is a Sand $, I will buy it off you for $2 US since I am feeling generous. You could  then get a hamburger...

 

5a3d2f6f62b67_popeyeandwimpy.jpg.7d074b7259a10026a40a3347d04def18.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great finds. 

 

Since it it is a Sand $, I will buy it off you for $2 US since I am feeling generous. You could  then get a hamburger or another tasty morsel  at McDonalds. The offer is only valid for 10 minutes, then it is off the table.

 

:hearty-laugh:

 

Ralph, if I had gotten your offer before I got the comments from this thread, I might almost have considered it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sacha said:

 

Ralph, if I had gotten your offer before I got the comments from this thread, I might almost have considered it!

Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

 

5a3d2f6f62b67_popeyeandwimpy.jpg.7d074b7259a10026a40a3347d04def18.jpg

And I will kindly pay you on Tuesday- I always loved that line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl
On 12/20/2017 at 9:56 AM, Sacha said:

This has been a pretty disappointing year so far, with the season delayed by high water levels and then very poor results on trips to the Santa Fe, Withlacoochee and Peace when I finally could get out. This last Tuesday yielded reasonable results which I'm thankful for since the trip was a scouting expedition in preparation for a Christmas Eve trip with @Cam28 and @Max-fossils. Most of the vertebrate finds are pretty typical.

 

DSCF1484.thumb.jpg.228a14bcff5d82582a129db9c1da6c1f.jpg

 

My favorite find, though, was this sand dollar that looks like it had been dropped into the river after being professionally prepped. 

 

DSCF1485.thumb.jpg.ba44187e2c3947ef96e6cf9984e050dc.jpg

 

DSCF1486.thumb.jpg.35a1f17a5a0ccc2d492c1e5edb80ef1e.jpg

 

We find thousands of fragments of these while we're screening, but this is the first complete one I've run across. I think it's the best find of the day.

 

I'm hoping Paul and Max will get something on our trip that will make it memerable. 

 

 

 

That Sand $ is one of a kind! I need to go there to try for my own!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey John, congrats on the Abertella. What a wonderfully different preservation! 

 

Regards, Chris 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...