Mazon Help - Number one: Fish

Jones1rocks

Awesome fossil! 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like a Elonichthys peltigerus that may be associated with a worm. Absolutely killer fossil!

• I found this Informative 2

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

25 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Looks like a Elonichthys peltigerus that may be associated with a worm. Absolutely killer fossil!

I was wondering about that!  I was wondering if the fish was in the process of eating the worm when buried.

Beautiful fish!

I agree that it appears to be E. peltigeras.

If that is a worm preserved, it would be incredibly rare.

I am aware of only one other fish fossil preserving a fish aspirating on its last meal.

Having said that, I do not see any defining detail that would indicating that it is a worm.

Great fish- love the fins and Eye. As @RCFossils stated that would be rare if was a worm in his mouth. I have a few concretions with multiple species preserved, but nothing eating / choking on one.

Fossils of fish choking on their last meal are quite interesting and there are quite a few on the net. 

But none that choked on a worm that I can find. 

Bit this is very interesting, though a little off topic.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2012/03/08/jurassic-fail-fish-accidentally-snags-pterosaur-and-both-die/#.Wjsnb1Vl_IU

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Other than the little sharks, I have never seen a mazon fish before, much less one that’s possibly choking on a worm! Very nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Fossils of fish choking on their last meal are quite interesting and there are quite a few on the net. 

But none that choked on a worm that I can find. 

Bit this is very interesting, though a little off topic.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2012/03/08/jurassic-fail-fish-accidentally-snags-pterosaur-and-both-die/#.Wjsnb1Vl_IU

The article was very interesting.  In the fossil in my possession, if it is indeed a worm attached to the fish, could it simply be that the fish was killed coincidentally and DURING the act of eating, not from choking, but from rapid burial due to an event?  By 'event', I'm referring to the hypothesis that the rapid burial was due to a catastrophic environmental occurrence, like a powerfully moving flood, where the fauna had virtually no time or ability to react.

If it is a worm, and i"m not sure, it would seem to be coincidental. 

Just pure chance i would guess. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png