indominus rex

My friend bought a pile of shark teeth and along with it came a reptile tooth and it could possibly be a mosasaur but I am not sure. It is from Belgium

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Could it be Pliosaurus, because if it is that would be amazing. 

• I found this Informative 1

Pliosaurus fossils ever found in Belgium

Could it be a whale tooth? Because I think that whale teeth like these are in Antwerp,Belgium. Any thoughts?

Looks croc to me too. Enamel texture is kind of irregular, they are no defined striations.

By the way, a lot of specimens on the forum from Antwerp are Neogene.

• I found this Informative 2

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Do You know the age of the deposits in Antwerp?

Unfortunately not

• 2 months later...

I hunt in Antwerp regularly, that’s a whale tooth, most likely sperm whale. There are no mosasaurus or pliosaurus teeth to be found in that area :) 

• I found this Informative 4

I agree with Charlotte. This is a whale tooth. Has some similarities with squalodon but not sure.

57 minutes ago, Scs said:

I just signed up for this site, can you tell me how to made a post?

I think you just did. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Scs said:

I just signed up for this site, can you tell me how to made a post?

To start a new thread, go to the appropriate sub forum page. There is a block at the top of the page that says "Start new topic" Click on that and fill in the title and tags and then write what You want.

Welcome to TFF!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, CharlotteG said:

I hunt in Antwerp regularly, that’s a whale tooth, most likely sperm whale. There are no mosasaurus or pliosaurus teeth to be found in that area :) 

Someone suggested that it is a Pliosaur tooth and it floated there:hearty-laugh:.

I was quite surprises so many people thought that. But here’s a picture of a whale tooth from the Antwerp area, you can see the resemblance. If it were a squalodon I think there should be a ridge running from the top along the side of the tooth ( @gigantoraptor)

28035532-AA79-4FD3-A2A4-B0E8BB0BA1CA.jpeg

• 11 months later...

100% Sperm whale found a few of them myself.
Mosa and ichto's are around 36-38mil years 
The Belgium sands 2-16mil with here and there some older teeth but, when you encounter for a example a auriculatis it's black and polished by the sands.
I did also notice some one mentioned Crocs aswell. My guess is this is some one with Usa roots because they are unlike in Antwerp found regularly in the rivers.
Belgium contains far less fossils of mammals/crocs/fish because it use to be to deep sea.
Squalodon looks completly different.

5800-1357748804 (2).jpg

Edited by xxxhalsteren

3 hours ago, xxxhalsteren said:

Mosa and ichto's are around 36-38mil years 

That's not true. 36-38 million years ago brings you right to the late Eocene, and about 30 million years after the last mosasaurs went extinct. Mosasaurs went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous along with the dinosaurs and pterosaurs, 66 million years ago. Ichthyosaurs went extinct even before that, the last ones having been somewhere around the 90 million years old. 

But your point is still correct, this was all way too old for the Antwerp area. The most of the Antwerp fossils are from the Mio-Pliocene, around the 5 million year mark (with a couple million years ambiguity depending on which formation you're in). 

However mosasaurs have been found in Belgium, just not in the Antwerp area: the quarries close to Maastricht (such as the ENCI in the Netherlands) are sometimes in Belgium (but close to the Dutch border), and these have Maastrichtian sediments famous for their mosasaur discoveries. 

The tooth in the OP is also most likely whale. Croc is a very rare occurrence in Antwerp (I've never heard of any coming out of there). 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I have seen a lecture of Benjamin Burger that talked about mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, and Ichthyosaurs, and if I remember correctly, the last kind of the flippers died out in 36-38 m.

My knowledge is based on this lecture, and doesn't talk about the mosasaurus specifically, but, I'm perfectly aware of the mosa died out in the last 20m in the Maastrichian age. 

I have found mosa myself in T'rooth but, it's solid stone compared to sand. From time to time you will find bird bones, and I know of a new Tapir specie that is found in Antwerp.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, xxxhalsteren said:

I have seen a lecture of Benjamin Burger that talked about mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, and Ichthyosaurs, and if I remember correctly, the last kind of the flippers died out in 36-38 m

I'm perfectly aware of the mosa died out in the last 20m in the Maastrichian age. 

Well you either don't remember correctly, or Burger was simply wrong :P 

All plesiosaurs (including pliosaurs) and mosasaurs died out at the same time as the dinosaurs 65 mya, and the ichthyosaurs even before that. 

Finding mosa teeth in 'T Rooth is normal: the fossils there are from the late Cretaceous (older than 65 mya --> before they were extinct). 

Technically though, you still have 'flippers' around, they didn't die out yet, but it's essentially for the mammals (our friends the cetaceans). 

From time to time you will find bird bones, and I know of a new Tapir specie that is found in Antwerp.

Yes, those are Mio-Pliocene. Much younger than ichthy's, plesio's and mosa's. ;) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎-‎3‎-‎2019 at 8:27 PM, Max-fossils said:

Well you either don't remember correctly, or Burger was simply wrong :P 

All plesiosaurs (including pliosaurs) and mosasaurs died out at the same time as the dinosaurs 65 mya, and the ichthyosaurs even before that. 

Finding mosa teeth in 'T Rooth is normal: the fossils there are from the late Cretaceous (older than 65 mya --> before they were extinct). 

Technically though, you still have 'flippers' around, they didn't die out yet, but it's essentially for the mammals (our friends the cetaceans). 

It's hard to remember everything 100% some stuff get forgotten :P
What I can remember is the date I said was the end of the Reptile (flippers) age. Can't remember the Latin name for this group. 
Did you know hippo's are the closest related to whales? The part of Mammals returning to the Ocean is printed in my brain because, when I heard this I couldn't understand why I never linked them.