Shark Tooth Restoration

tiburon

Hi guys, I'm a pretty experienced shark tooth collector. But I'm still a little paranoid when it comes to identifying repair/restoration, since I have seen a couple of exceptional restorations that would be very difficult for even a seasoned collector to identify. This is especially the case for restorations to the root; I think I can almost always tell restorations to the serrations and enamel. Does anyone have tips for identifying root restorations? Some people suggest looking at it under a black light, which I will of course do, but for root restos this doesn't always seem to be effective.

This question comes up since I recently bought a very large Moroccan otodus (pic attached). I got it from a seller I trust not to knowingly misrepresent anything, but given the price I want to be very confident. Thank you.

Otodus-matrix.jpg

If I have a expensive tooth that I question has resto,  I take it to my veterinarian and pay him $50 to x-ray. It will show if there has been anything done to it.

xray.jpg

"Message me for info on Fossil Collecting in Cuba. " 

cuba1 029.JPG

Wow, I've never heard of people doing that before - thanks for the info. Is there anything in particular that you look for in the x ray or is it completely obvious (looks way different) if there is a restored piece? I assume the x ray you posted is all natural?

There is resto on this tooth. Anywhere you see darkness is a void. Not the fine lines running vertical on the blade, but darker areas on  root and serration just below right root lobe.

"Message me for info on Fossil Collecting in Cuba. " 

cuba1 029.JPG

Archived