Tooth,tusk,antler... oh my

Dewbunny

Hi ya'll, it's me again.

I was given this for my collection as a gift. The guy that found it came acrossed it while sport hunting on private land in Ohio in 98. From what I've obtained it came out of a 'landslide' and was just sticking out. That is all in info I could get on it.

I was thinking antler or pig tusk but my 12 yr old son swears it's "OMG MOM IT'S MAMMOTH" but I told him to not get his hopes up before I went to the experts (you all).

I plan on trying to put it back together but I don't want to mess it up. Can I use super glue? If not what should I use to glue it's bits back on.

20171220_152351.jpg

Ugggggh, this site can be a pain in the... trying to upload pictures of all the bits together with scale but nooooooooo... too big.

There. Gawd, had to screen shot my own photo to be able to upload it... Quite a conundrum: need detail for ID but such a small size allowance.

Screenshot_2017-12-20-16-04-01.png

24 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

Ugggggh, this site can be a pain in the... trying to upload pictures of all the bits together with scale but nooooooooo... too big.

20 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

There. Gawd, had to screen shot my own photo to be able to upload it... Quite a conundrum: need detail for ID but such a small size allowance.

This is why cameras are better than phones for photos.  :( 

There are many photo editing websites/apps that will allow you to crop and resize your pictures. 

Quality, detail and size of photo aren't mutually exclusive.  ;) 

Results here on the forum are proof. 

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19 I've come to this issue with any photo, no matter if it's taken with my phone or my Nikon. The site is buggy, especially when it comes to uploading pictures. And it happens no matter what format I use to utilize the forum (desktop,laptop,tablets or phone). I really shouldn't need to constantly refresh my browser just to make multiple post in a single thread regardless if my photos are at minimum or max size.

Now any idea on that tusk/tooth/antler thingie?

38 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

@Fossildude19 I've come to this issue with any photo, no matter if it's taken with my phone or my Nikon. The site is buggy, especially when it comes to uploading pictures. And it happens no matter what format I use to utilize the forum (desktop,laptop,tablets or phone). I really shouldn't need to constantly refresh my browser just to make multiple post in a single thread regardless if my photos are at minimum or max size.

Now any idea on that tusk/tooth/antler thingie?

Hmm. I don't know about uploading from a phone or tablet, although I have them, I am much more of a desktop/laptop guy. 

But the only glitch I'm aware of is that it will occasionally tell you that you can't post anymore, and a browser refresh usually clears it. 

Other than that, I am not aware of anyone else having issues with uploading photos. :unsure: 

4 mb is generally large enough to give enough detail to be able to make ID's from. 

Please keep in mind, we have thousands of photos on here, and we do need to put a limit on the sizes, so that our server storage space does not go over a certain limit. 

I've found that by editing photos with a 3rd party software (I'm partial to Photoscape - free and intuitive!) and resizing them before uploading works perfectly well for me.  :headscratch:

As to your item, I see no schreger lines to indicate mammoth tusk. 

It may be a tooth of some sort, although I cannot make out any enamel or bone/root textures. 

Maybe @Harry Pristis will have a look.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

22 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hmm. I don't know about uploading from a phone or tablet, although I have them, I am much more of a desktop/laptop guy. 

But the only glitch I'm aware of is that it will occasionally tell you that you can't post anymore, and a browser refresh usually clears it. 

Other than that, I am not aware of anyone else having issues with uploading photos. :unsure: 

4 mb is generally large enough to give enough detail to be able to make ID's from. 

Please keep in mind, we have thousands of photos on here, and we do need to put a limit on the sizes, so that our server storage space does not go over a certain limit. 

I've found that by editing photos with a 3rd party software (I'm partial to Photoscape - free and intuitive!) and resizing them before uploading works perfectly well for me.  :headscratch:

As to your item, I see no schreger lines to indicate mammoth tusk. 

It may be a tooth of some sort, although I cannot make out any enamel or bone/root textures. 

Maybe @Harry Pristis will have a look.

The TFF software is working just fine as far as I can tell (and I post a lot of images).  Dewbunny should crop her images, reduce them to 72 ppi and about 1 mb file size, and she will have no trouble.

I have looked at Dewbunny's tooth(?).  I think she should reassemble it as best she can, then we might have a guess as to what it is.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

@Harry Pristis is regular super glue ok to use? It hasn't been preserved in any way. Was put in a sandwich baggie and left to bang around in a junk drawer for almost 20 years. It has degraded a bit. 

I think it's some kind of boars tusk, cause if it was mammoth it would have to be a baby.

I found your post on the schreger lines, don't currently have a microscope at my disposal, but will look into it further.

Plan on taking it to my next rockhound/fossil group meeting in January. Having it in hand is much better for identification than interweb pics I'm sure. 

6 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

@Harry Pristis is regular super glue ok to use? It hasn't been preserved in any way. Was put in a sandwich baggie and left to bang around in a junk drawer for almost 20 years. It has degraded a bit. 

I think it's some kind of boars tusk, cause if it was mammoth it would have to be a baby.

I found your post on the schreger lines, don't currently have a microscope at my disposal, but will look into it further.

Plan on taking it to my next rockhound/fossil group meeting in January. Having it in hand is much better for identification than interweb pics I'm sure. 

Well, I am a strong advocate of consolidating vertebrate remains.  If the item is significant to you, consolidate it.

Super glue is fine for tight joints.  White glue is better at bridging cracks.

Schreger lines should be visible (in ivory only) with minimum magnification -- a hand lens.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest