Giant Keichousaurus

Crazyhen

This is a giant specimen of Keichousaurus, it measures a total of 46cm in length while mostly you would only see specimens measuring 20-30cm.  There is something in its abdomen, would it be young Keichousaurus or remains of a fish?

image1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I don't think there is enough detail to tell what it might be. 

A view through a loupe or microscope might show some detail, but this picture really doesn't show much. 

image1.thumb.jpeg.f946cf8e1886f867507d949273393876.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What are the finer bones among the more robust ribs. Did Keichs have gastralia like 'gators???? I had never noticed this profusion of apparent fine bone in Keichs before. A handsome specimen. I like its presentation.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, digit said:

Beautiful specimen. :envy:

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, this is a very nice specimen, and it's huge.  Keichousaurus of this size is extremely rare, and what's more the posture and condition of this specimen are also very nice.  The only drawback is that the plate was broken and pasted together.

17 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Very large for a keichousaurus. Perhaps a juvenile of a Nothosaurus. Beautiful prep. 

I was thinking the same.  Perhaps it's a juvenile of a Nothosaurus.  As far as I know, Keichousaurus male is bigger than female, reaching at most 30-40cm, and the ulnas are irregular and bigger in size.  For this specimen, the ulnas are not particularly big.  That makes me think that perhaps it's a young Nothosaurus.