drbush

Kindly help me with this , it is a surface find , dhruma formation , early Jurassic, ? coral of some type , it is small & oval 

IMG_2017-12-21_14-32-24.JPG

The sediments of the Dhruma formation are Middle Jurassic - Bathonian in age. Are you sure you're not hunting in the Upper Cretaceous?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The specimen in question looks close to Cunnolites. Here are described and illustrated eight species of the genus from the Maastrichtian of Central Saudi Arabia: M.A.Ghalib El-Asa'ad. 1990. Maastrichtian species of the coral genus Cunnolites from Saudi Arabia. Journal of African Earth Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 633-642

maastrichtian-species-of-the-coral-genus-cunnolites-from-saudi-arabia_1.thumb.jpg.e2c46237612820bb7ada3710565a498f.jpg

maastrichtian-species-of-the-coral-genus-cunnolites-from-saudi-arabia_2.thumb.jpg.dcaaa47609fd15bc818693362d690628.jpg

Hope this helps.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Cyclolites is a solitary coral. Cunnolites is a junior synonym. The depicted fossil could be Aspidastraea. Same family, but colonial. Known range: Upper Campanian to Maastrichtian.

• I found this Informative 3

On 12/22/2017 at 1:23 PM, HansTheLoser said:

Cyclolites is a solitary coral. Cunnolites is a junior synonym. The depicted fossil could be Aspidastraea. Same family, but colonial. Known range: Upper Campanian to Maastrichtian.

Good call! Same family (Cunnolitidae) but different genus.

5a3e76073522b_Plate5.thumb.jpg.cf304e368e060d4d1548ea2e694dd379.jpg

PLATE 5
Figs 2, 4 Cunnolites sp.; 2, AZ 400; 4, AZ 865.

5a3e7611e7b5d_Plate10.thumb.jpg.0b165f73a2c8eb16b2fe3c38656ebb32.jpg

PLATE 10
Figs 1, 4 Aspidastraea orientalis ( Kuhn, 1933); 1, AZ 188; 4, AZ 636.

5a3e75f8cfbcb_Plate12.thumb.jpg.fbf2197fb99a3bcfe674aac0e728ee88.jpg

PLate 12
Figs 2, 4. 5 Aspidastraea semhae ( Kossmat, 1907); 2, juvenile form, AZ 407; 4, AZ 411 ; 5, AZ 572.

excerpts from R. C. Baron-Szabo. 2000. Late Campanian-Maastrichtian corals from the United Arab Emirates-Oman border region. Bulletin of the Natural History Museum of London (Geology) 56(2):91-131

Thomas Mann

My Library

corallosphere = mix of good and bad data, not very trustworthy since you never know which quality has a specified item.

41 minutes ago, HansTheLoser said:

corallosphere = mix of good and bad data, not very trustworthy since you never know which quality has a specified item.

But if you know how to choose the good there is good information there.
For example, in this case there are images of the type specimen of Aspidastraea.

It's just a matter of knowing how to choose. Take advantage of the good and undo the bad. As in life itself.

You have easy access to this kind of thing, I have to get them out of here and there with a lot of work and knowing how to choose.;)

You can contact the editor if you would like to contribute to the diagnosis of this taxon, eventually change the family name Cunnolitidae to Cyclolitidae.

Thomas Mann

My Library