Shark Tooth ID needed

murseboog

Need some help identifying some shark teeth I acquired.

The first two images, the only thing i know about this one is that they were found in Bone Valley

This second two images are of a tooth found in an Eocene layer at the Brazos River in Texas brazosfossilfront

brazosfossilback

The last two images I know nothing about. It just came in a collection I acquired UnknownfrontUnknownback

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

The first tooth is Carcharias taurus (not extinct Sand Tiger)

The last tooth is a posterior Cretalamna, there are different species depending on age.

The dark tooth is too small and dark of an image to id.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the first tooth is from a Carcharias, and an anterior one too.

I think that the second tooth could possibly be a posterior and/or baby Cretolamna appendiculata?

The last tooth may be a posterior Cretolamna appendiculata, I believe.

As far as I know, Cretolamna appendiculata teeth are almost the only species found in the US. Other species like C. biauriculata have been found here, but are much rarer and mostly can be distinguishable by their double cusps contrary to appendiculata's thick single cusps. The place that I find to have an extremely diverse community of most Cretolamna  species would rather be Morocco.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Sand Tiger first.

Second would need better pic

Third also looks like Cretolamna

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:17 PM, Macrophyseter said:

I agree that the first tooth is from a Carcharias taurus, the modern sand tiger shark, and an anterior one too.

I think that the second tooth could possibly be a posterior and/or baby Cretolamna appendiculata?

The last tooth may be a posterior Cretolamna appendiculata, I believe.

As far as I know, Cretolamna appendiculata teeth are almost the only species found in the US. Other species like C. biauriculata have been found here, but are much rarer and mostly can be distinguishable by their double cusps contrary to appendiculata's thick single cusps. The place that I find to have an extremely diverse community of most Cretolamna  species would rather be Morocco.

I thought in miocene it was Carcharias cuspidata, did it recently change?

Just now, Cam28 said:

Wait, you are actually right. Sorry if I confused you for a while :wacko:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

10 hours ago, Cam28 said:

Are you sure it is from the Miocene? I think Pliocene is found there too. C. taurus will usually have lingual striations and C. cuspidata are usually smooth.

Hmm interesting I'll have to research more. I have special edition shark tooth  papers from Gainesville that list local mio/plio sand tigers as "Carcharias cf. cuspidata" & other sources seem to state it as miocene but I'm not anywhere close to being a sand tiger expert lol