T-rex Skull Untombed

Troodon

The thread is as up to date as I know.  It tells you what they found and what they are planning to do.  You can get on the Burke Museum web page if your interested.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

The thread is as up to date as I know.  It tells you what they found and what they are planning to do.  You can get on the Burke Museum web page if your interested.

Have a look at this web site.  Looks like they had volunteers last summer, but as troodon suggests, contact the Burke Museum.  

I am very jealous of their T rex rotisserie In the pix it is the thing with big red wheels).  THAT is a nice piece of equipment.  

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thank you Troodon, i will do like that !

Not even heard about that find, need to update my pal-lit biblio and online-channels...

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Have a look at this web site.  Looks like they had volunteers last summer, but as troodon suggests, contact the Burke Museum.  

I am very jealous of their T rex rotisserie In the pix it is the thing with big red wheels).  THAT is a nice piece of equipment.  

Looked: http://www.burkemuseum.org/research-and-collections/vertebrate-paleontology . Great stuff...! :popcorn::drool:

Concerning T rex rotisserie: a pragmatic way in the country of barbecue... ! ;)

Another Tufts-Love bone jacket was just opened. This one contains the surangular (and some other jaw parts?) with a nice belly rib and another rib. From the neck up, this rex is going to be pretty complete.

DY8PqPNU0AASTGJ.jpeg.731f23350d14dbf9136a8ae1f539f133.jpeg

For those of you not familiar with skull elements I've noted the surangular in the sketch 

trex2.jpg.f2b681ba067d6e17e816fa514e3efb17.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Humerus has been prepped and came out in fantastic shape.   A very rare rex bone not many have been found

DZhKOrlV4AApmsu.thumb.jpeg.0ce227325003958045b6dee091d9180c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jpc said:

Did they collect it with expanding foam?  

I dont believe they did.  Are you referring to that blob on the jaw?

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I dont believe they did.  Are you referring to that blob on the jaw?

Yeah, and the background in the jacket with the surangular.  

33 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yeah, and the background in the jacket with the surangular.  

Looking at that jacket I think you're spot on.   Is that a common process have not seen it used before.

We have done it in the past.  We don't do it now, because we have run out of foam...  : )  That's to say, not so much in the field, but in the lab we will prep a jacket from one side and, especially if the bones are complex, re-jacket the prepped side, then flip it over and prep the bottom.  Mostly we re-jacket with plaster and burlap, but foam works too... quicker and lighter and a whole lot more expensive.   Can't say how common it is.  

I emailed my friend who is working on it and she will let us know.  

• I found this Informative 7

Jason Love posted that the skull has lumpy bone on its maxilla, likely representing a response to injury. Rexin' wasn't easy.

DbMo1vBX4AA10Yp.thumb.jpeg.4f6e1caa4de535cdf494894a5774c303.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Oh. My. Gosh.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Viola is going to freak out when I show her this thread!!!

Thanks for all of the information - I will definitely keep watching this thread for updates...

:popcorn:

This thread gets better and better. I am going to put Seattle on my list of places to visit . The video of the tooth been prepped was sublime. Thanks Frank and everyone who added it this wonderful post. 

• I found this Informative 1

Pictures posted by paleontologist David Evans from his recent visit to the museum.  Never get tired looking at this skull.

DbeMAo4W0Ac3m72.thumb.jpeg.f8c7aeb65c452283186325b7ab9a0f10.jpegDbeMAo6X0AA-FK0.thumb.jpeg.7649bc9a47c51d04e066ca5fb046af8e.jpegDbeMAo4X0AE6hhs.thumb.jpeg.c33c180e574a0d3910de2509c80272b3.jpegDbeMAo5WAAA-ND8.thumb.jpeg.989d5af211623009b00272e96af7e248.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

19 hours ago, Troodon said:

Pictures posted by paleontologist David Evans from his recent visit to the museum.  Never get tired looking at this skull.

DbeMAo4W0Ac3m72.thumb.jpeg.f8c7aeb65c452283186325b7ab9a0f10.jpegDbeMAo6X0AA-FK0.thumb.jpeg.7649bc9a47c51d04e066ca5fb046af8e.jpegDbeMAo4X0AE6hhs.thumb.jpeg.c33c180e574a0d3910de2509c80272b3.jpegDbeMAo5WAAA-ND8.thumb.jpeg.989d5af211623009b00272e96af7e248.jpeg

18 hours ago, TyBoy said:

What a beautiful skull.  You can really can see the different elements that make up a skull.

I’m impressed.  Even the eyes have been preserved in this fossil!

3 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Haha the googly eyes adds some humour to the photos.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

28 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Haha the googly eyes adds some humour to the photos.

3 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Hey Sagebrush Steve is spot on, this is a very special skull will outstanding preservation :trex:

• 1 month later...