T-rex Skull Untombed

Troodon

38 minutes ago, jlo said:

From what I understand lots of the teeth had some minor damage from plant roots eroding into their medial surface.  The prep guys elected to intentionally separate the teeth at the level of this damage, and they plan to clean them up and glue them back on.  So it wasn't a big bonk!  It was deliberate, so to speak. 

They did find a stapes too.  It isn't in the exactly correct position, and it isn't completely intact, but it is present.  In the attached picture the straight arrow points to the stapes and the curved arrow points to the grove where the columella should lie.

As far as finding all the bones, they do some funny math with that.  If they have at least one of every bone, they kind of say they have found all of them.  So they might find the right stapes and not the left, but if they have one they say "all bones accounted for!" I guess.  

Jason

Thanks for the update and that indeed is good news

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks for the update and that indeed is good news

Yep. Stuff happens but it's nice when it happens on purpose. I had to intentionally break a specimen into 3 pieces in order to get it out of the field in reasonably sized jackets once. Talk about internal conflict!

41 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yep. Stuff happens but it's nice when it happens on purpose. I had to intentionally break a specimen into 3 pieces in order to get it out of the field in reasonably sized jackets once. Talk about internal conflict!

Have also been in that position but never with a jaw full of beautiful teeth ouch!

I just found this thread but the wife and I actually got to see the Tufts-Love skull right before the burke closed to move to its new digs next door. We got to tour the prep lab and I got to go nose to nose with the greatest predator to ever walk the earth. It was incredible! I was saddened to see the damage sustained, even if it was deliberate. I am confident the team at the burke will do a great job with the restoration.

22 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I just found this thread but the wife and I actually got to see the Tufts-Love skull right before the burke closed to move to its new digs next door. We got to tour the prep lab and I got to go nose to nose with the greatest predator to ever walk the earth. It was incredible! I was saddened to see the damage sustained, even if it was deliberate. I am confident the team at the burke will do a great job with the restoration.

I bet it was incredible, very jealous.  I would love to see it in person since the photos are of a spectacular specimen...

Jason Love posted these photos of Tufts Love rex with a hockey smile.  Boy I hope they have a good dentist  :D

D2R0j61UwAAeULQ.thumb.jpeg.69f82999182454a59b1b117e6e555fc6.jpeg

D2R2Uk2UcAAofy5.thumb.jpeg.49ad33342b4bf57bef4e1ff81752b796.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Paleontologist T Carr suggests Tufts-Love T rex was 19 years old when it died.

http://www.burkemuseum.org/blog/tufts-love-t-rex-was-about-19-years-old-when-it-died?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=t-rex-19-years-old

New image

trex-snout-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.aaa052367bc33bb6464156410a4d67ab.jpg

Burkes Museum update:

"What’s happening with the T. rex right now? The team is currently removing the rest of the rock from underneath the skull to prepare the skull for display in the New Burke when the museum opens this October"

• I found this Informative 2

I will definitely be making a trip to the new Burke sometime this fall. From the outside the new building looks to be quite a bit bigger than the old one. Hopefully that will mean more room for fossil displays. Fortunately for me I only live like 40 miles away. Of course, with Seattle traffic it still might 2 or more hours to get there. Small price to pay.

1 minute ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I will definitely be making a trip to the new Burke sometime this fall. From the outside the new building looks to be quite a bit bigger than the old one. Hopefully that will mean more room for fossil displays. Fortunately for me I only live like 40 miles away. Of course, with Seattle traffic it still might 2 or more hours to get there. Small price to pay.

Sounds great, dont forget to take and post photos for us that cannot visit. Thanks

Incredible as always!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

• 1 month later...

Jason Love posted these images and comments.

"They flipped the skull of the Tufts-Love rex and exposed the roof of the mouth including an incredibly well preserved vomer."

Looks like the teeth have yet to be repaired

D9kvPYqU8AAI2-U.thumb.jpeg.d7107438f1e84435b02d3c8a0939e339.jpegD9kvbCMUYAEk4Ad.thumb.jpeg.090a01843e264d6412034c4e5d542f41.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

• 4 months later...

Looks great now its had its dental work done. Nice mount too. It doesn’t look very large in this picture until you scroll though the thread. Thanks Bobby 

19 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looks great now its had its dental work done. Nice mount too. It doesn’t look very large in this picture until you scroll though the thread. Thanks Bobby 

Ha ha yep pays to have a good dentist...

• 4 months later...

I was browsing and found this rather nice scan of the skull. Truly a beautiful fossil. Probably one of the best rex skulls out there.

• I found this Informative 12

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I was browsing and found this rather nice scan of the skull. Truly a beautiful fossil. Probably one of the best rex skulls out there.

Nice scan, thanks for posting

11 hours ago, jpc said:

PS... Sue has stapes preserved as well. 

So does Trix btw.  Sue's skull is a bit crunched though.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite