Mazon Uncertains - 6 snails?

Jones1rocks

One that I initially thought was a coprolite, after photographing and zooming in, I believe I'm seeing a large group of tiny snails.

DSC_5128.JPG

DSC_5130.JPG

DSC_5129.JPG

Yes, lots of little snails for sure! 

Couldn't be in a coprolite, could they?

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

46 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

They are and I am at a loss for there name- I believe Spirobis, but can’t recall.

Strobeus? 

Spirorbis is a recent little snail, I believe. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

They are and I am at a loss for there name- I believe Spirobis, but can’t recall.

I believe your thinking of microconchs.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Strobeus? 

Spirorbis is a recent little snail, I believe. 

Spirorbis is a serpulid worm that looks snail like I believe. Formerly, they were thought to be in Ordovicianto Jurassic deposits until it was determined that they should be called microconchs (some sort of structural difference). The affinities are to lophophores, possiblely tentaculid.

• I found this Informative 4

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

These certainly look like the spirorbis I sometimes see encrusting leaves in lower Carb/Mississippian freshwater limestones, cool to see them in a coprolite I hadn't thought anything ate them!

13 minutes ago, Archie said:

These certainly look like the spirorbis I sometimes see encrusting leaves in lower Carb/Mississippian freshwater limestones, cool to see them in a coprolite I hadn't thought anything ate them!

Old habits die hard...

From this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249547339_Convergence_in_small_spiral_worm_tubes_'Spirorbis'_and_its_palaeoenvironmental_implications

79EE17BC-A7AC-4E0F-BB68-EDD0F7B5685B.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Thanks I didn't realise this, convergent evolution is fascinating!

‘Tis! Can also be annoying to (yes I’m looking at you Great white shark and Megalodon:P)

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason