Show us your Equus teeth!

MeargleSchmeargl

Hello again, Paleo friends! It's been a while.

It was way back in my July trip to Summerville that I got this 2 14/16" horse tooth from the Hawthorne, the same formation producing the Megs in the area. Finally got around to finding an image compressor so I could actually show y'all:

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.62d892603cb284039b264c0edca52b4d.jpg

Flip side:

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.f15e16d1b0fd7952f61e4c61cb1c27a0.jpg

Grinding surface:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg.8b6c5e9450daeb8ffc8f4f7ceb1a93fc.jpg

Root side (kinda blurry though):

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg.84059a0b1f855f4217ea748a0eb6a576.jpg

What do you guys have?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

You appear to have an Equus sp. right m3.   How are you confident that this tooth is out of the Hawthorn FM . . . it has the appearance of a river find which would make it "float" of uncertain origin.  Equus is a mainly Pleistocene taxon, not found in the Miocene Hawthorn.

horse_unid_m3pair.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

12 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

You appear to have an Equus sp. right m3.   How are you confident that this tooth is out of the Hawthorn FM . . . it has the appearance of a river find which would make it "float" of uncertain origin.  Equus is a mainly Pleistocene taxon, not found in the Miocene Hawthorn.

horse_unid_m3pair.JPG

The tooth was found coming out of the same formation that the Megalodon teeth were coming from. I found it jutting out of the matrix in almost the exact same spot I found my complete Meg (no pics related though).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Peace River, Pleistocene not Miocene

P- Equus sp..jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

med_gallery_330_103_43385.jpg

Equus upper cheek teeth - Pleistocene

med_gallery_330_103_106898.jpg

Equus premolars - Pleistocene (lower premolar on left; upper premolar on right)

med_gallery_330_103_2941.jpg

Equus lower cheek teeth - Pleistocene

Here are a few of the dozens of Equus teeth that I've collected from the Trinity River Pleistocene sands and gravels in Dallas County, Texas.  

I'm with Harry on this one...as far as I know, Equus is not found in Miocene deposits.  There are other various 'equids' found in sediments of that age, however.  Unfortunately, for some reason I can't see MeargleSchmeargle's pictures.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

18 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

med_gallery_330_103_43385.jpg

Equus upper cheek teeth - Pleistocene

med_gallery_330_103_106898.jpg

Equus premolars - Pleistocene (lower premolar on left; upper premolar on right)

med_gallery_330_103_2941.jpg

Equus lower cheek teeth - Pleistocene

Here are a few of the dozens of Equus teeth that I've collected from the Trinity River Pleistocene sands and gravels in Dallas County, Texas.  

I'm with Harry on this one...as far as I know, Equus is not found in Miocene deposits.  There are other various 'equids' found in sediments of that age, however.  Unfortunately, for some reason I can't see MeargleSchmeargle's pictures.

-Joe

I did find it in the same formation as the Megs (it was sticking out of the Hawthorne root side out). I'm guessing the material from pleistocene matrix got mixed in with the Hawthorne where I was, or something like that. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

I don't doubt that for a second!  That was Harry's thought as well.

it has the appearance of a river find which would make it "float" of uncertain origin.  Equus is a mainly Pleistocene taxon

I'm not personally familiar with the formations in your area (and I still can't see your pictures) so I'm really not equipped to make any comments other than the one I already have.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

7 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

I don't doubt that for a second!  That was Harry's thought as well.

I'm not personally familiar with the formations in your area (and I still can't see your pictures) so I'm really not equipped to make any comments other than the one I already have.

-Joe

Not exactly "my" area. Live more than 200 miles away from Summerville. :faint:

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

"Show us your equus teeth"

Screenshot_20171223-194114.png

All horsing aside, have a great Christmas everybody!

(slow clap intensifies

Well played, well played.:P

5 hours ago, Herb said:

Peace River

P- Equus sp..jpg

Herb . . . If this is an Equus tooth, and it likely is, it is neither Miocene in age nor is it a lower molar.  It's an upper.

horseequusgroup.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks, Harry, It's Pleistocene, I forgot the label was wrong.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Many vertebrate fossils are concentrated in lag deposits. In fact, if there is a concentration of separated vertebrate fossil elements it is almost certainly a lag deposit. Lags form at breaks in deposition so that the erosion at the top of the Hawthorne that concentrated the vertebrate material at Summerville would contain Hawthorne fossils eroded from that formation and other fossils from subsequent ages as well. This would depend on when the erosion and concentration occurred of course. Around here (SE NC)  we can even get lags with Cretaceous and Pleistocene concentrations where the Waccamaw Fm lays on top of the Peedee. Anything that resisted total destruction in previous erosional events and from a variety of ages may be found in the lag. Meg teeth, being large resistant clasts, are often found in these lags but there is no Miocene or Pliocene formation present. Best way of looking at this is to consider a pebble, a resistant clast, being found in a concentration in a lag deposit and our vertebrate fossils are only fellow resistant clasts.

Sorry I'm slow as always, but are the O.P. teeth gone, or I can't see them?
The response when I click the images is: "The file you were looking for could not be found". :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Sorry I'm slow as always, but are the O.P. teeth gone, or I can't see them?

They're right here!

Screenshot_20171227-172826.png

Oh...I thought you said Opie teeth.  Sorry!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

:rofl:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived