Please identify fossil, seed or rock

Jaimie Aigner

This was found in a riverbed in Indiana three decades ago. I have yet to figure out exactly what it might be. A gem show expert said it was a Crinoid Sea Lilly but it does not really match Sea Lilly photos posted on line. It is 4 1/2” long, 7” around and weighs 320 grams. Thank you so much for your input!

1E431AEB-182E-466E-93A3-29B8CA8D7E4C.jpeg

Edited by Jaimie Aigner
No photo

Welcome to the forum! :)
It looks like a geodized crinoid, to me. Siliceous preudomorph after crinoid, like that in figure 5, below.

5a3ed22f94be8_PlateXXIV.thumb.jpg.63985eec1ca8ea37b97d41762eba7c6c.jpg5a3ed229a86eb_PlateXXIV_text.thumb.jpg.b91d3786cbaf4edbc30b929af9bfa006.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 minutes ago, Jaimie Aigner said:

This was found in a riverbed in Indiana three decades ago. I have yet to figure out exactly what it might be. A gem show expert said it was a Crinoid Sea Lilly but it does not really match Sea Lilly photos posted on line. It is 4 1/2” long, 7” around and weighs 320 grams. Thank you so much for your input!

Welcome to TFF!

I agree, It's a Sea Lilly. Google for example Cupressocrinus (not that species - Cupressocrinus is a Devonian crinoid)

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thank you for your reply! My fossil does not have a flat bottom like illustration 5. It is pointed at both ends. Does that make any difference? 

image.jpg

No.
Your specimen is a well inflated crinoid column segment.

More details you can find in this old but good document: R. S. Bassler. 1909. The formation of geodes with remarks on the silicification of fossils. Proceedings of the United States National Museum. V. 35 (1637):133-154

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

it is an expanded geodized crinoid calyx. Some crinoids after they died and were buried  produced an internal gas upon decomposition  that inflated the calyxes

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If it is a crinoid calyx (which I don't think), where are the plates or the suture lines between them?

BTW, a similar topic:

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Jaimie Aigner said:

My fossil does not have a flat bottom like illustration 5. It is pointed at both ends. Does that make any difference? 

Can We see pictures from other angles and the back?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The second picture shows the attachment point of the "stem".

I agree that it is a geodized crinoid calyx.

When a fossil is geodized it can lose some or all of the distinguishing features.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

48 minutes ago, ynot said:

When a fossil is geodized it can lose some or all of the distinguishing features.

I would agree, but never loose the cracks between the plates of the calyx. I don't see any evidence of a calyx, but an inflated geodized and botryoidal crystallized crinoid pluricolumnal. No offence here, just my perception. :)

5a3f0d4345a06_THEFORMATIONOFGEODESWITHREMARKSONTHESILICIFICATIONOFFOSSILS-RayS.Bassler_page139.thumb.jpg.9a0830f387b8d873060e54828386699e.jpg5a3f0d3aab512_THEFORMATIONOFGEODESWITHREMARKSONTHESILICIFICATIONOFFOSSILS-RayS.Bassler_page140.thumb.jpg.8da6e8a5e41d2f8666ff9fbca037bde8.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library