Fish Skull Fragment?

Cowboy Paleontologist

I found this fragment in a Cretaceous conglomerate.  I am still trying to figure out the name of the formation, but it is either from a river bottom or sea shore.  My first thought when I found it was a piece of turtle shell, but upon closer examination, it reminds me more of fish skull fragments I have found in other formations.  I was hoping some of you might be able to provide some other perspectives.  The piece is ~12 mm long, ~10 mm wide, and ~2 mm thick.  It is slightly convex with a slight bumpy texture on the outside, although mostly eroded away, and some sutures at the very edge on the inside.

Top Texture.jpg

top.jpg

Possible fish skull.jpg

2mm wide.jpg

Sutures.jpg

Not my area of expertise. Doesn't look like much to me, but what do I know?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

51 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Not my area of expertise. Doesn't look like much to me, but what do I know?

You're correct in that it isn't much :)  

But it is a little bit of something, so that is why I'm here.  As far as I know, very little is known about this area except that copious quantities of Gryphaea oysters can be found.

56 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like part of an echinoid. The last photo shows an ambulacrum.

Comparing this to pictures I found on the interwebs, what I thought was bone sutures does resemble ambulacra more than fish skull fragments or turtle shells from my collection.

• I found this Informative 1