Cleaned my chunk-o-mosa jaw and was surprised.

fossilized6s

I bought this partial, very partial, jaw of a mosasaur a few years ago at a very good price. It's from Morocco. No offense to anyone, but I'm always suspect of Moroccan fossils, but it was cheap.

This was covered in their famous sand/glue matrix. So tonight i decided to clean it up and do away with most of the sand, and what i found was surprising! 

See anything wrong with this picture? 

20171223_193611_1514081399228.thumb.jpg.10e7961593e5b56e48de73819de8f1da.jpg

I uncovered two pits with replacement teeth that were filled with sand. Awesome! BUT they're pointed!! Lol!!! Oh, silly Moroccans.

20171223_192200_1514081451318.thumb.jpg.94da7ae4f1b8152fbd0429024df2665b.jpg

So i popped off a impostor Globidens tooth. Sure enough, it was held on by a white/cream putty. Then i cleaned the putty off of the broken root and globidens tooth. 

20171223_192812_1514081441462.thumb.jpg.5d5f887cc0e2324c12d1811432d6fc5b.jpg

20171223_193301_1514081428712.thumb.jpg.9121ef950e31001d67ebb8c3faba4a36.jpg

Now, here's my question. Is there a way to determine a species by their replacement teeth? Or does anyone have a good idea which species this may be from the root shape? 

I'd like to find two correct species teeth to add to this piece to make a composite. 

20171223_192129_1514081483253.thumb.jpg.f61b81da548ce532a4549163c4ac6529.jpg

I appreicate and thank you for any help.

Merry (almost) Christmas. 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

A great post - funny, cautionary and deductive, all at the same time. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

" Silly Moroccans" ?

Hmmmm.

I meant no offense. You know there's a lot of Franken fossils from the region. It's no secret. Lol

They would have made more money off of me if they had prepped this piece and puttyed on the right species teeth. Hahaha! 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

12 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

A great post - funny, cautionary and deductive, all at the same time. 

Haha, Thanks, Sir Snolly. 

~Charlie~

And the reason there's so many "Franken fossils" as well as millions of genuine ones?

People buy 'em, without knowing if there's something good underneath. 

If you've got a couple of spare Globidens lying about stick 'em on, somebody'll buy it. 

Not sure it's the Moroccan's who are "silly."

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And the reason there's so many "Franken fossils" as well as millions of genuine ones?

If you've got a couple of spare Globidens lying about stick 'em on, somebody'll buy it. 

Touché ! :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

43 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

I bought this partial, very partial, jaw of a mosasaur a few years ago at a very good price. It's from Morocco. No offense to anyone, but I'm always suspect of Moroccan fossils, but it was cheap.

This was covered in their famous sand/glue matrix. So tonight i decided to clean it up and do away with most of the sand, and what i found was surprising! 

I uncovered two pits with replacement teeth that were filled with sand. Awesome! BUT they're pointed!! Lol!!! Oh, silly Moroccans.

So i popped off a impostor Globidens tooth. Sure enough, it was held on by a white/cream putty. Then i cleaned the putty off of the broken root and globidens tooth.

Now, here's my question. Is there a way to determine a species by their replacement teeth? Or does anyone have a good idea which species this may be from the root shape? 

I'd like to find two correct species teeth to add to this piece to make a composite. 

I appreicate and thank you for any help.

Merry (almost) Christmas. 

Oh, sorry, great jaw by the way, really nice. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I agree and am the first one to admit that I'm silly. But the price was right given the real jaw and real teeth. 

• I found this Informative 2

~Charlie~

7 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

looks neat

Yeah that sometimes happens. I got duped by one of these once too. Got a small jaw piece with one Globidens tooth on it. Same situation, there was a pointy erupting tooth still in the jaw and the Globidens tooth was glued on.

Mosasaurs are typically identified on their skull bones. But teeth can in some cases give some hints as to which type it might be. They don't look recurved and the enamel looks smooth. It's hard to tell since the teeth are mostly hidden by the jaw bone. But it looks like it could be Prognathodon sp.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

16 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Dear me! Any chance of a 'before' photo?

You can see a blurry picture of it here on page two. Sorry, I didn't plan on posting this, so i didn't bother to take any pics before i started the clean-up. 

~Charlie~

2 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

You can see a blurry picture of it here on page two. Sorry, I didn't plan on posting this, so i didn't bother to take any pics before i started the clean-up. 

Ah yes, I see. Those Moroccan preparators get away with murder!

Mind you, I'm not that keen on globidens anyway. The teeth look so phallic that the sight of them makes me come over all peculiar.

4 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Ah yes, I see. Those Moroccan preparators get away with murder!

Mind you, I'm not that keen on globidens anyway. The teeth look so phallic that the sight of them makes me come over all peculiar.

Bwahahaha!!! I definitely know what you're saying about the suggestive shape. And yes, they do get away with a lot. But as @Tidgy's Dad said, we're silly enough to buy them. Lol Supply and demand.

~Charlie~

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Merry Christmas one and all ! !! ! :D

Have a super holiday everyone! 

Thanks, you too, sir. 

~Charlie~

29 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

When I looked at the first picture, it reminded me of a Teenage Mutant Turtle face. Lol

I can see it. 

~Charlie~

4 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

At the risk of being a pedant no pictures are visible to me. 

?huh? Fine on my end.....i'm not sure how to remedy this. 

~Charlie~