Unknown Dinosaur Tooth

Goymersauraus

Hi all

I purchased the attached tooth several years ago while working in a small desert town in Niger called Agadez.

I was wondering wether anybody on the forum new what dinosaur it is from.

It was a gift for my infant son and he’s very proud of it, showing it to his friends it every opportunity. It would be great if we new a little more about it.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2FAF6786-727F-4E3B-BDE3-1C236E2FCB77.jpeg

Welcome!

very sorry to say, but I don't think this is a tooth :( . It might be a chunk of bone or fossilised wood, but we would need to see some different angles.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Foozil. Oh dear. Here a some more angles. It’s pretty easy to have the wool pulled when purchasing things like this. A good story never the less!

AC08FE1E-30BD-4CF1-9616-A5C01770DD59.jpeg

Unfortunately agree with the other members not a tooth.  There would be enamel present on a tooth, its bone in the shape of a tooth.  Possibly the end of one of the hip bones or process of a vertebra.

Thanks for the replies. It’s definitely fossilised, so it would be a bone from a dinosaur of some kind? I’ve read that that area of North African Sahara is quite rich with fossils.

Niger has rich Cretaceous deposits and the color of the bone fits it.  Sorry we could not have better news.   Could also be rib from one of their Jurassic sites.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the reply Troodon. Still plenty of great history there, so it’s a cool piece never the less. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to buy your son a dinosaur tooth, they are readily available for sale, some at reasonable prices (spinosaurus, triceratops are ones I can think of).  Mosasaurus teeth, while not a dinosaur, are very cheap and really cool.  megalodon shark teeth are also really neat and are available at reasonable prices if you buy less than perfect specimens.