Best places to hunt in April?

smt126

It might be just me and my 7 year old for spring break this year and was wondering what you all thought were the best places to hunt in the first week of April? Last year we did Texas, which was fun, but would like to go somewhere new. 

I believe mazon collecting starts then? That's nearby and a possibility. I figured hit some road cuts and geode digging if we stay in the wisco Illinois area.

I'd love to hit up the peace river as I hear that's a good time of year, but I worry about the gators down there's. I saw a place that rents canoes and will drop you off up stream which is cool. I just worry about a 7 year old being easy prey plus the fact that she can't swim. Any thoughts on safety with that?

I really would like to do fishdig in wyoming, but unfortunately they dont open until late May. Anyone else have any good recommendations for this time of year? I'm open to pay to dig or public areas. Thanks in advance.

The peace river, as is most rivers in Florida, a relatively slow flowing river. No high class rapids (Florida is flat). With a life preserver, I am sure your daughter would not be at risk, assuming water levels are low. Also you have from now until April to enroll her in swimming lessons. I have been playing in some of the Floridian streams over the last few years and never encountered a gator. Keep your daughter in shallow water and the likelihood of an attack is very low, assuming you scout the area out and move on if one is present. Finding fossils is easy in rivers like the Peace and I am sure this would make your daughter very happy. I suggest a guided trip to lessen your fears and more importantly have someone available to ID your finds accurately. I had no idea what I was finding each time I sifted a river and was so  lucky to have a guide that could educate and enlighten me (Thanks Jeff).

Definitely think about postponing until May and make a trip to @sseth's quarry. Like the Peace, your daughter is bound to find many nice fossils. Even if she surface hunts what others have discarded, she would come home with some great treasures. Splitting the rock is easy. A light touch with the equipment provided will open up an amazing world from the past. I had hurt my shoulder the day before my trip and had no problem splitting the rock one handed.. I also would recommend flying out and taking a rental car back home so you can take all of your finds with you.

As for a Wisconsin hunt. Frost should be out of the ground in April during most years. Some north facing slopes may be uncollectable due to residual ice. Where Wisconsin , Iowa, and Minnesota meet is my home hunting ground. There are some fabulous sites tailor made for children. Let me know if this area is chosen and I can help you create a great hunt for your daughter. The area is Ordovician, so no sharks teeth or fish. But lovely primitive sea life!

Have fun wherever!!

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

I'd love to hit up the peace river as I hear that's a good time of year, but I worry about the gators down there's. I saw a place that rents canoes and will drop you off up stream which is cool. I just worry about a 7 year old being easy prey plus the fact that she can't swim. Any thoughts on safety with that?

I have hunted the Peace River for 10 years.. it is a fantastic experience even when I do not find fossils (once in a thousand times out).  I take tiny risks standing in the river compared to the risks driving on Route 17 to the river.

In April, the river is shallow and clear. Stay in the shallow, clear water and you will be fine. Locals insure that the river is safe for their children also. The gators have adapted over decades to those places where they can survive.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks @Shellseeker and @minnbuckeye for the advice. All this depends too on when my ex takes her vacation with the 2 older kids. If she doesn't take them it's a moot point as I'll have all 4 kids and it's not logistically possible. If she takes her vacation over the summer I might do 1 of these without and/or without them as they are hit or miss on the love for fossil hunting.

i told my wife what you said about the peace. She keeps asking me why I want our children eaten by wild animals so bad(last year we went to Montana). I've had her in several swimming classes and she doesn't quite get it so doubt she will by April. She's intellectually gifted, but not coordinated whatsoever. I think we'd be ok in the peace river too from what you're saying. She wanted to take her first plane ride with me so maybe we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just mail our finds back home.

i definitely want to do green river, but trying to decide how I'd want to do it. I would definitely want to bring back as much as we could. I also would probably stop in Montana too at the very least to do some hunting. My minivan isn't going to like all that weight, not to mention finding room for all that if it's all 6 of us as I think my boys might like that one as they like destruction more than just searching. I was debating on the practicality of renting a uhaul trailer and towing it around and back home. I just worry about someone taking off with it if I disconnect it at the hote to say get in the quarry and such. I've thought about renting an rv but cant believe how much they charge for them. It seems more economical to get a trailer and hotel rooms.

ive hunted the Ordovician up there in Minnesota one day with @Bev and it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if we'd head north, but I will take you up on the offer if we do. 

Thanks again,

shawn