Strange trunk

nala

Definitely a piece of dragon leg….:D

Seriously it does look similar to tree trunks I have seen in the Carboniferous of Pennsylvania, USA.

Nice fossil.

Thanks Erose,but what kind of tree looks like that?I have found this picture on the web about actual and fossil giant fern trunk,??

37-tronc-fougere.jpg

The pattern is unfamiliar to me, but first thought is sigillaria/lepidodendron.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a fern or cycad trunk. I would bet it's a fern. The branches are densely packed. Just like you would see on modern tree ferns and cinnamon ferns.

Thanks WhodamanHD,i have  found  few sigillaria trunks and  many lepidodendron bark and big stem,and they really didn't have this shape,you are right dolevfab,it's like modern tree fern and cinnamon ,perhaps the top of a psaronius? Thanks!

1 minute ago, nala said:

they really didn't have this shape

Yeah, I was wondering if it was worn that way, but again my knowledge here is limited.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm curious how it looks in end views. Can you post some pictures?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello abyssunder,my bag was totaly full of samples this time and this trunk is still on the top of the heap(too big and heavy),if the machines don't destroy him i will take it next time !

Yeah, I know how it is... ;)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Only an idea of the way to the top ,and it was not possible to make a picture on the way back with more than 50 kgs of rocks in my bag :)

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

Archived