Hello all!

Recently I have been obsessed with cephalopods and realized there is a real lack of reconstructions of the color patterns on extinct nautiloids and ammonites!

This led me to compile a list of known fossil color patterns on cephalopods. After a year of on and off research, I found about 90 species of  cephalopods retaining official or undescribed, original patterning on their shells.

These are the first 15 species on my list. The color markings are based both on descriptions and photographs of the fossil material. The shades of the markings are based on the fossils, but also inferred.

I Hope you will appreciate my work!:) :ammonite01:

IMG_20171224_221535_01.jpg

Edited by dolevfab
  • I found this Informative 16
  • Thank You 1

Beautiful work! You must have a very skilled, confident and light touch to pull off such work.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Brilliant! :)

That is lovely and I am seriously going to print that off in colour if i may? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well done! :) 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! :D:D
And as to your questions:

-yes i will be doing ammonites aswell. these are just the first 15 in my list, and not necessarily phyllogenetically grouped.

-This is a preliminary sketch, I will eventually incorporate parts of this painting and future ones, into a phylogeny showing the evolution and distribution of colour patterns, among externally shelled cephalopods... (That piece will be digitised and posted here, or on my Devientart account. (Dolevfab)

Please don't print this one! Wait a bit till Im finished! (might take a month or so...) :ammonite01:

• I found this Informative 3

It occurred to me it MIGHT be more realistic to show epibionts(more or less:sessile/encrusting organisms)on the shells

euydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

7 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

It occurred to me it MIGHT be more realistic to show epibionts(more or less:sessile/encrusting organisms)on the shells

euydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

Might be..but because I'm trying to showcase the diversity of color patterns I don't think I'll do that. In addition I don't know whether those specific animals had them, because in modern Nautilus there are no prominent epibionts.

They were bound to be plagued by (rheophilic?)trepostome bryozoans,barring ethological and morphological adaptions,I guess.

But hey,as your intent is indeed to show the distinctive "proprietary"(so to speak) colour patterns......

When your magnum opus is complete ,it will make a tremendous coffeetable book:D

I am wondering(aloud,in this case),if there is a correlation between the shell patterns and bathymetry... 

Merry Christmas ! ! ! !

I shall restrain myself and wait for the completed version. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

They were bound to be plagued by (rheophilic?)trepostome bryozoans,barring ethological and morphological adaptions,I guess.

But hey,as your intent is indeed to show the distinctive "proprietary"(so to speak) colour patterns......

When your magnum opus is complete ,it will make a tremendous coffeetable book:D

I am wondering(aloud,in this case),if there is a correlation between the shell patterns and bathymetry... 

There seems to be a relationship. In one paper I read demonstrated that nautiloids living at greater depths had darker color patterns. But the evidence is limited to a few species.

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

1 hour ago, dolevfab said:

Might be..but because I'm trying to showcase the diversity of color patterns I don't think I'll do that. In addition I don't know whether those specific animals had them, because in modern Nautilus there are no prominent epibionts.

As far as I understand it, most epibionts settled on the shells after the animals were already dead.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is a work of ART on its own.  I think that that would make a great poster that any fossil nerd would love.  I too would love to print it if and when you decide its OK.

I hope you make a book someday of all of your amazing artwork and information! This is beautiful. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all the feedback!! I have finally finished the second part of the project! which means I only have 88 species left... hope you like it! Ammonites coming in the 4th part!!! I promise! :D:ammonite01:

IMG_20180119_222015 (1).jpg

• I found this Informative 6