How to remove ammonites stuck in rock and make them look nice

Ammonight

Hello all, I've seen many ammonite fossils and nautilus fossils, and I'm always wondering, how are they so smooth to touch? Is it because they have been polished after removing from rocks? Or is it depending on the species and minerals that make up the fossil? Besides, how do I remove ammonites/nautilus from rocks without damaging them?

Thanks for all replies!

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

I would take a careful read through this post.

This is undoubtedly one of the best posts on the very subject you are asking about. 

There are several other excellent posts within the Fossil Preparation sub-forum. 

A thorough search through this sub forum can yield many more useful tidbits on fossil preparation. ;) 

Best of luck to you, and welcome, again. 

Regards

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Ammonight said:

I've seen many ammonite fossils and nautilus fossils, and I'm always wondering, how are they so smooth to touch?

Welcome to TFF!

Many of the pieces that are for sale have been polished, but some species did have a smooth shell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'd say that practically all of the smooth shelled ammonites that one can acquire have been sanded and polished. The process of fossilization alone tends to roughen them up.

• I found this Informative 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/