Woehr's 2017 Paleo Meanderings

Uncle Siphuncle

Hey Dan, great to see all of the 2017 material. You have a way of tracking down some really fantastically cool stuff. I'm liking the camelid direction you've been going in. I finally found a single tooth this year of one of those critters and as simple as it is it was a highlight. Thanks for sharing all the photos...those horns are disgustingly sick! Right now the Mrs has teapots on our mantle and I cant imagine the persuasion needed to put some fossils up there. You lucky guy! Congrats on the year and have a Happy New one! 

Regards, Chris 

7 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Dan, great to see all of the 2017 material. You have a way of tracking down some really fantastically cool stuff. I'm liking the camelid direction you've been going in. I finally found a single tooth this year of one of those critters and as simple as it is it was a highlight. Thanks for sharing all the photos...those horns are disgustingly sick! Right now the Mrs has teapots on our mantle and I cant imagine the persuasion needed to put some fossils up there. You lucky guy! Congrats on the year and have a Happy New one! 

Regards, Chris 

Hey Chris, welcome to the Camel Club.  The thought of ungainly beasts roaming our home states is rather appealing.

Check out this Pachydiscus I found today.

3686A92B-DE8F-4B73-89A6-352B860A68C9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Hey Chris, welcome to the Camel Club.  The thought of ungainly beasts roaming our home states is rather appealing.

Check out this Pachydiscus I found today.

3686A92B-DE8F-4B73-89A6-352B860A68C9.jpeg

Thanks Dan. So thats what a sweet ammo still looks like--dang nabbit. Seems like it was another lifetime when I last picked up one of those-congrats! I was enthralled with laundry, left over dishes and other super glorious chores today. It was mind boggling awesome--NOT! LOL. You guys are going to force me to go out again soon....LOL. 

Thanks for the neat insitu shot! 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks Dan. So thats what a sweet ammo still looks like--dang nabbit. Seems like it was another lifetime when I last picked up one of those-congrats! I was enthralled with laundry, left over dishes and other super glorious chores today. It was mind boggling awesome--NOT! LOL. You guys are going to force me to go out again soon....LOL. 

Thanks for the neat insitu shot! 

Regards, Chris 

Awash with domesticity.  Been there too often myself lately.  That’s what happens when the wifey works 80+ hrs per week.  I’m the chief cook and bottle washer.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2017 at 12:51 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I saved the most common stuff for the end...Bison.  Only this time, I'm showcasing a less common suite of finds from this commonly found critter.  When I found this complete Bison femur, I wasn't aware of how fragile it was.  It snapped in half under its own weight just a couple feet off the ground.  When I inspected the broken diaphysis in cross section, I decided that this bone would be displayed broken, forever.  Geodized with dogtooth calcite...what a stately way to be immortalized.  But I don't care to repeat the 3 second emotional roller coaster again from find to lift, to the snap, to the inspection.  Too much of that can wear an old guy out.

150.jpg

151.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

That is an incredible piece!! Absolutely beautiful!