New Jersey Cretaceous broken vert. ID help

frankh8147

Season's Greeting!

I found this broken vertabrae earlier this year around Big Brook NJ - it is Cretaceous in age. It's roughly missing 1/3 to 1/2 of it and is worn but i was wondering if we can tell what it is? I was thinking Plesiosaur but I'm really not sure about that. Thanks!

broken vert best.jpg

brokenvert5.jpg

brokeee.jpg

broken vert6.jpg

broken vert 11.jpg

broken vert9.jpg

brokenvert1.jpg

brokvert.jpg

Merry Christmas! 

I'm not sure there's enough of it left to make a guess. 

Still, many know more than I! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Dear all,

I can confirm that this is a mosasaur vertebra, specifically an abraded distal caudal of an individual about the size of the holotype of Halisaurus platyspondylus. Congratulations on this amazing find!

Regards,

Chase

• I found this Informative 2

The bone structure in the second picture from the top looks plesiosaurian and sort of resembles Mosasaurian structure too, but it also appears to have a convex face and a concave face. It is also smaller than the average plesiosaur vertebra. I'm leaning more towards Mosasaur.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Luckily many do know more than I. :)

It's nice to be wrong.

Nice vert! 

Thanks! I'm very happy with the ID. For some reason, even though I find 10 Mosasaur teeth to every Plesiosaur tooth here, I've found and seen a lot more Plesiosaur verts come out of these brooks than Mosasaur. I wonder why that is...

Thanks again!

Frank

• I found this Informative 1