Gideon

I was hoping someone could recommend a fossil prepping service in the uk. Ideally south east England. 

I have found what looks to be a virtually complete meyeria lobster from whale chine, Isle of Wight, uk.   About 15cm. Fairly big from what I understand. 

It looks like it could turn out really well, but it’s such a complex prep, I was thinking it’s better someone with experience did it. 

If anyone could recommend someone who may be able to help I would be most grateful. 

Many thanks

henry

ED95FC75-FF4A-4F93-B5C6-9DC105FE16EF.jpeg

I hope you find the right party and please kindly post pics of the final result. This looks very interesting.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes indeed that looks like it could be a Very Nice lobster with proper prepping.  Hope you find someone that has the skills.

Please PM any suggestions to the OP:) 

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

In my experience of these lobsters, and I’ve found quite a few from the IoW they’re virtually impossible to prep. The problem is the matrix and fossil is the same hardness and the lobsters are sticky. 

Thanks for the warning John. Not the best news, but good to know not to get my hopes up!

if I have any success with this in the future I’ll post some pics. 

Thanks again

henry

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Gideon said:

Thanks for the warning John. Not the best news, but good to know not to get my hopes up!

if I have any success with this in the future I’ll post some pics. 

Thanks again

henry

@Gideon Henry, I’d get a rougher example, they’re cheap enough on  the auction site if you can’t collect on the IoW yourself and give both to the preparator so s/he has something to work on. The matrix and fossil on these examples are very soft, it’s really easy to scratch with a finger nail. 

Nearest preppers to you you I can think of are in Charmouth and Lyme Regis. If you do a google of fossil shops in the area email them. At least one shop in each town does prep work. Look for a guy called Paddy ;)

• I found this Informative 2