Polishing an Ammonite for Necklace

Faith

Hello... I have some cut ammonite fossils but they are not flat like the picks I see above (nice job!)...how can I grind it down? I tried a big ol' metal file, but it takes a long time just to get some dust off.  Do I need to have it cut thinner?  Is this something I can do? 

I want to make necklaces out of them...but...

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, Faith said:

Hello... I have some cut ammonite fossils but they are not flat like the picks I see above (nice job!)...how can I grind it down? I tried a big ol' metal file, but it takes a long time just to get some dust off.  Do I need to have it cut thinner?  Is this something I can do? 

I want to make necklaces out of them...but...

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you :)

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Pictures of what you have may help with the discussion. 

A grinding wheel or a belt sander might work for you.

Wait for a few more 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to TFF!

You need a harder grinding tool than metal will provide. Most people use diamond grinders to cut and polish ammonites (or any rock).

The type of ammonite shown above (1/2) is readily available on the market.

If You need the flat surface to work with, I would suggest buying some that have already been cut and polished. It would be much easier than trying to do it Yourself.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Cretaceous (and occasionally, Jurassic) sliced and polished ammonites are readily available from the Mesozoic formations of Madagascar. Due to their very low cost, it may be worth purchasing an already cut piece rather than risk damaging your ammonite. Sub-4" halves are usually less than $20, but pieces for necklaces (1"-2") are often about $5 USD

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.