Group of conodont fragments?

KCMOfossil

As I have continued to examine the conodonts I'm finding in Stark Shale Member material (Kansas City Group, Pennsylvanian), I've found what appears to be a group of conodont fragments.  What does this look like to you all?  

Russ

5a42c7e24cb70_1boneyardentire.thumb.jpg.8db1e77a25cdf4210e7c93baaee95f2a.jpg5a42c7f1ba003_2bonyardlengthmeasured3.thumb.jpg.83fd46ce7179f0c77560a93b48ccf770.jpg

5a42c81fe389d_3boneyarddenticles.thumb.jpg.40dbd6a279e70291ab185eeb14dc7d3c.jpg

Looks like a broken fish tooth or spine - with pyrite inclusions. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the quick replies.  These IDs make sense.  Part of what led me to the conodont thought was the item with "denticles" in the center of the third picture.  Would these be fish teeth?

One more general question.  What is the proper etiquette for changing a post title, tags, etc. once a better ID has been made.  I've wondered this on a number of occasions when my first guess was incorrect.  After some time has passed and the post seems inactive, should I change the original post to reflect a better ID?

Russ

Russ, 

I don't think it's necessary to change the title.

It shows the learning process in action - you had an idea, some others came by with some other ideas. Some of these may or may not be correct. 

If you really want to edit something, you only have 48 hours in which to do so. After that, you can PM a friendly, neighborhood Mod or Admin to make the edit for you. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

31 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't think it's necessary to change the title.

Thanks, I wondered about this.  

I'm still curious about the item that appears to have denticles in the middle of the specimen.  The third photo from the top at the beginning of this post shows a closeup of the middle section of the specimen.  In the middle of this closeup there is an item that appears to have denticles.  I'm interested to know what they might be.  Are they denticles, teeth, pyrite, or is it impossible to tell without a better microscope or photo? 

I tried to include another photo with the item circled, but the max size limit keeps me from doing so. I hope you can pick out the item I am referring to. [EDIT: Oops, my file was too large.  I shrunk it a bit and below is the photo.]

Russ

5a43133b97e92_boneyarddenticlescircled(2).thumb.jpg.ca9d5c02af79ce632b2690739ac29507.jpg

19 minutes ago, KCMOfossil said:

I tried to include another photo with the item circled, but the max size limit keeps me from doing so.

If You use a reply You should be able to add more pictures. If You still get the to big notice try to refresh the page.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

55 minutes ago, ynot said:

If You use a reply You should be able to add more pictures.

Thanks, my file was too bit, so I just shrunk it a bit and the result is above.

Russ

The circled area looks like a mineral filled crack.

I think Fossildude19 was correct with His id of a crushed fish spine, but I do not see pyrite. Maybe calcite or quartzite.

It's interesting, the chaotic randomness of the flecks across the surface of this possible fish tooth.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

10 hours ago, ynot said:

I think Fossildude19 was correct with His id of a crushed fish spine

Thank you, my friends, for your input.  I look forward to other finds in this shale--and I never realized how much is there.  Crushed fish spine seems like a good ID.  There is much to puzzle over so I may make ask for help again with some of these specimens.

Russ

58 minutes ago, KCMOfossil said:

There is much to puzzle over so I may make ask for help again with some of these specimens.

Looking forward to seeing more of Your wonderful finds!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

looks like a fish spine or tooth

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks, Herb.  I think you are right.  At the time that I posted this I was beginning to examine for the first time the shale of this formation.  I was delighted at the conodonts I was finding and mystified by the spine.  Since then, I have found a couple of other spines and a lot more conodonts.  I hope to put together a post of my conodonts soon.  Being mystified by new, unidentified things is certainly part of the fun for me in fossils.  Then  having a name put to the find by TFF participation or finding an ID in one of my books brings it the find to a nice conclusion.  

Russ

Archived