Display Stand Project - redux

snolly50

This is a continuation that adds an additional example of the project type explored in the previous post.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/80387-display-stand-project/

Moving forward with plans to construct more stands for fossil specimens, a small Oreodont skull and jaw were selected. The long term denizens of the Fossil Forum may recognize Lucinda, the subject of a previously posted prep series.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44530-oreodont-prep-series/

Here is the wood specimen selected. It is Bocote, Cordia elaeagnoides. This strongly grained wood is found on the Western coast of Mexico. It is shown with shellac applied and holes drilled to receive the brass supports.

DSCN2470ac.thumb.jpg.fe56dc54f5fe3a69c944107f246654c0.jpg

Here is a view of the shaped brass rods. The configuration selected is entirely from snolly's imagination (he is not an engineer). Other designs may be more practical and/or sturdy.

DSCN2477ac.thumb.jpg.b3908f7ea29d456f2371c49d553fb23f.jpg 

This image shows the rods installed and provides a glimpse of the conceptualization of the needed support.

DSCN2480ac.thumb.jpg.d40da0bc9713bc722ad0d56557d15115.jpg

Here is Lucinda, resting atop her newly crafted throne.

Merycoidodon gracilis

Brule Member of White River Formation

Sioux Co, Nebraska

DSCN2483ac.thumb.jpg.3626e0f69805244ea03571547f63f5a1.jpg

DSCN2487ac.thumb.jpg.fe4ff92be25e7c24e53b298bceb04c78.jpg

The next project will utilize a larger wood block to accommodate Lucinda's much larger cousin, Merycoidodon culbertsoni . Here is the block being finished. The wood is "Ambrosia Maple." The designation "ambrosia" is given to various woods that have been invaded by a species of Ambrosia Beetle. The beetles bore chambers in the wood in order to create "gardens" for a fungus, their sole source of nutrition. This practice of nutritional symbiosis creates distinct patterns in the wood. 

DSCN2493ac.thumb.jpg.d66f13240ea78695a2fd24bfb4ccbf64.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I like it!  Minimalist but elegant display.  Are you thinking you might eventually add a label similar to what a museum would do?

On 12/29/2017 at 1:15 PM, Haravex said:

It gave me some good ideas this BTW so thanks for that snolly :)

Nice display! :dinothumb:

Looks like you you have room for more!

On 12/27/2017 at 7:01 AM, snolly50 said:

This is a continuation that adds an additional example of the project type explored in the previous post.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/80387-display-stand-project/

Moving forward with plans to construct more stands for fossil specimens, a small Oreodont skull and jaw were selected. The long term denizens of the Fossil Forum may recognize Lucinda, the subject of a previously posted prep series.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44530-oreodont-prep-series/

Here is the wood specimen selected. It is Bocote, Cordia elaeagnoides. This strongly grained wood is found on the Western coast of Mexico. It is shown with shellac applied and holes drilled to receive the brass supports.

DSCN2470ac.thumb.jpg.fe56dc54f5fe3a69c944107f246654c0.jpg

Here is a view of the shaped brass rods. The configuration selected is entirely from snolly's imagination (he is not an engineer). Other designs may be more practical and/or sturdy.

DSCN2477ac.thumb.jpg.b3908f7ea29d456f2371c49d553fb23f.jpg 

This image shows the rods installed and provides a glimpse of the conceptualization of the needed support.

DSCN2480ac.thumb.jpg.d40da0bc9713bc722ad0d56557d15115.jpg

Here is Lucinda, resting atop her newly crafted throne.

Merycoidodon gracilis

Brule Member of White River Formation

Sioux Co, Nebraska

DSCN2483ac.thumb.jpg.3626e0f69805244ea03571547f63f5a1.jpg

DSCN2487ac.thumb.jpg.fe4ff92be25e7c24e53b298bceb04c78.jpg

By the way, I can’t tell for sure what your wire ends look like, but I use something called a bur cup tool to round the ends and make them look a little more finished.  Example here: https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Wrapping-Beading-Tool-Round/dp/B000RB7G0O

An ordinary file should do fine, too.

32 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

really beautiful

Thanks, I am having fun with the planning for each piece and the wood finishing.

40 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

That looks to be a useful tool, but not large enough diameter for my next project. I have a set of precision files, but I have misplaced them in all the clutter of my work area. I imagine I put them away after they were last used and hid them from myself! They will show up eventually, probably when least expected (or needed). It's not all bad news however; when I was looking for the files to use on this project, I found three Ammolite stones that I had forgotten about.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 2 weeks later...

John nice stuff! You've given me some ideas. I've got a little partially crushed skull that I could maybe do something similar with....

Regards, Chris 

On 12/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

By the way, I can’t tell for sure what your wire ends look like, but I use something called a bur cup tool to round the ends and make them look a little more finished.  Example here: https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Wrapping-Beading-Tool-Round/dp/B000RB7G0O

I finally uncovered my "lost" files; but I am continuing to follow-up on this recommended tool. It would seem it would make the task quicker and the result more uniform. I'm trying to source the two sizes I need (1/8 and 3/32") without buying a complete set. Thanks.

52 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I finally uncovered my "lost" files; but I am continuing to follow-up on this recommended tool. It would seem it would make the task quicker and the result more uniform. I'm trying to source the two sizes I need (1/8 and 3/32") without buying a complete set. Thanks.

Keep us informed.  I might want a larger size, too.

snolly, I used the wire bending jig you recommended to make a hanger for my mosasaur tooth in matix; it's going on my wall.  Thanks!

front.JPG

back.jpg

3 hours ago, aplomado said:

hanger for my mosasaur tooth in matix

That's a monster of a tooth; it'll look great on the wall.

• 1 month later...

Hi @snolly50, I can’t access your original pictures anymore.  I just bought a Merycoidodon gracilis skull and would like to make a stand for it.  Could you re-post a photo of your finished stand so I can copy it?

And for some reason if I quote your original post the system won’t let me submit my response but if I don’t quote it I can post OK.

Archived