Some recent small finds

Shellseeker

Have not been out frequently this month, so here are finds from a couple of weeks back. These finds are small..... but outstanding!!! Any time, I get a couple of pristine and/or unusual fossils, I am ecstatic.

IMG_0023Mako.thumb.jpg.6fa5944eec9de63aff898ae29b77109f.jpgIMG_0018Fishvert.thumb.jpg.7ecc713f93edc2835e136c03924ad49f.jpgIMG_0017.thumb.jpg.302412db2515813eedab70041f6eccb9.jpg

I love the small Meg, but these outstanding posterior tiger teeth are a first for me at this level of quality.. I did not know they had so many serrations.... right out of a karst_clay like mixture.

IMG_0015TigerPosterior.thumb.jpg.7df0d0db85fe96f55927e283d17f351b.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great colors on that Mako Jack, and can’t beat the condition on that posterior meg and tigers:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Nice, are these all from the Peace & it's tributaries?  What type of Vert do you think that its?

Can't say thats what it is, but I think I remember mention in a thread a while back that sawfish have oblong vertebrae.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Nice, are these all from the Peace & it's tributaries?  What type of Vert do you think that its?

Ken, @digit , while searching for oval fish verts, I tracked to sawfish, then eagle ray, then did a search for Squatina. Found:

SquatinaSp.thumb.JPG.c9c7c717f28e1d91ce0a53807a2c7379.JPG

and

SquatinaQuestionVert.JPG.c16a7a8d91660462c70b831b468de933.JPG

We always get expert opinions on TFF, and in this case tripplely true....IMG_0019Fishvert.thumb.jpg.3ce7eb6e037911fb0aa743210e473649.jpg

Calvin,  I think it is a ray vert,, Let's see what Ken thinks...

99% of my hunting is in Peace River watershed.  We are blessed to be so close to such treasures.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Jack, nice finds!...Hoping you are able to track down the vert ID as I had a few recently that I never did fully track down and one that is similar to yours....I saw some photos for Tuna (Thunnus sp.) that got me excited but never confirmed anything. I'll track this thread and hope someone nails it for you. 

Regards, Chris 

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Can't say thats what it is, but I think I remember mention in a thread a while back that sawfish have oblong vertebrae.

Jack’s vert is from a bony fish, not sure on the species. Sawfish have nice round vertebral centra that lack foramina.

3 hours ago, TNCollector said:

That is a ray vert. I have one from the Cretaceous almost just like it. Nice finds.

I’m interested in seeing your Cretaceous ray vert and how you identified it. I think Jack’s vert is from a bony fish based on the numerous foramina and bony processes. I haven’t seen any Neogene ray verts the are flattened like this. Bony fish verts are commonly flattened or oval.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I’m interested in seeing your Cretaceous ray vert and how you identified it. I think Jack’s vert is from a bony fish based on the numerous foramina and bony processes. I haven’t seen any Neogene ray verts the are flattened like this. Bony fish verts are commonly flattened or oval.

Here is a picture of mine, I identified it using Plate 6, Figure 3a from: Paper

IMG_20171015_194200.thumb.jpg.605509125148e41c5467696c76627233.jpg

27 minutes ago, TNCollector said:

Here is a picture of mine, I identified it using Plate 6, Figure 3a from: Paper

IMG_20171015_194200.thumb.jpg.605509125148e41c5467696c76627233.jpg

I think you identified yours correctly, it looks like the Cretaceous ray Brachyrhizodus. Notice the lack of bony processes on your specimen. Jack's has bony processes and is from a bony fish.

bony.JPG

Hey Jack, I went back to see what I had on the fish verts after seeing what the others said--didnt have much. Here's the couple of the verts I was talking about that I have-somewhat similar. The darker one on the left from Desoto cnty is about 27mm wide. 4 different views of both. The one on the right from Manatee Cnty has an interesting depression that I'm not sure is diagnostic or not. Cant tell if yours has that feature or not in your pics. 5a4719f274641_FishVertsPano.thumb.jpg.d64502d1bb2e633e0d581213f3909cf5.jpg5a4719f350c40_FishVertsPano2.thumb.jpg.c41d9fe39f048e1cf0c587d9edabe5e8.jpg

Here's an interesting reference that Bobby authored showing a Thunnus find in similar aged sediments out west. Page 19 has a picture. 

http://www.palarch.nl/wp-content/Boessenecker_RW_2011_A_New_Marine_Vertebrate_Assemblage_from_the_Late_Neogene_Purisima_Formation_in_Central_California_PJVP_8_4.pdf

Here's another interesting reference about billfish and vert damage....Look at page 254 for some vert pics. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 24(1):253-255, March 2004  NOTE FOSSIL TUNA VERTEBRAE PUNCTURED BY ISTIOPHORID BILLFISHES VINCENT P. SCHNEIDER' and HARRY L. FIERSTIN£2

http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1060&context=bio_fac

I'm not sure If UF has got a fossil fish expert or not now, may want to ask Hulbert. ..good luck if you want to chase it more...Could also be some others that have yet to see this might also be able to validate so I'll give this another bump. Right now both of mine are listed as fish...lol...

Again, nice finds...I like particularly seeing the odd different stuff! 

Regards, Chris 

13 hours ago, Plantguy said:

I'm not sure If UF has got a fossil fish expert or not now, may want to ask Hulbert. ..good luck if you want to chase it more...Could also be some others that have yet to see this might also be able to validate so I'll give this another bump. Right now both of mine are listed as fish...lol...

Again, nice finds...I like particularly seeing the odd different stuff! 

Regards, Chris 

Chris,  Thanks for the bump..  You have provided some interesting references and it is so satisfying to identify an unknown vert.  

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I've long believed that this Peace River fossil is a ray vertebra.

Harry,  Nice photos... Mine certainly looks like a match and mine does come from a Peace River feeder creek.  What does the oval type of vert imply..body shape like Squatina or eagle ray? Does the fish have both round and oval verts or just oval? I do have some verts from the Peace that I thought were Sawfish and definitely round.

IMG_0074.thumb.jpg.6473ec8c35e540d3df446105e99c9842.jpgIMG_0076.thumb.jpg.4c501caf116ddba88e18e4432e4a8804.jpg

Archived