Platecarpus ptychodon jaw

Fossil'n'Roll

I found this yesterday listed as a 10.7" Platecarpus ptychodon jaw section. Everything looks fine to me, but I want to be sure it's 100% real and not composited before deciding whether or not to buy it. The price seems surprisingly low for a jaw section of this size.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a7377171fdae37dd9281b43bb43b6f1a.jpgs-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.0217d684e1b357c20a4695a15d523be6.jpgs-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.94768ebe6daa160c5ce637f69d3309e8.jpgs-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.7e692242b3ae64d7d199cf4fb00f4638.jpgs-l1600-5.thumb.jpg.a52be1613727b649071644f53b5bd668.jpg

Consider making that "Platecarpus" ptychodon..

edit(hours later): might be a valid taxon after all(at least according to Konishi et al/2011)

I need taxonomic enlightenment,ptychodon SEEMS to be not valid

kyjjemampkemlexograitemureuydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

Jaws look real and the teeth appear to belong to them, not added.  The block looks very odd like the bones were positioned on a slab and matrix added.  Matrix does not look correct.  Like to hear what others have to say.

Edit: on the matrix defer to Andy and LT

• I found this Informative 1

I don't see any red flags with this. The matrix has bits of bone in it, as one would expect of Moroccan material. The teeth looks correct too.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'd say this is a really good piece. I don't see any red flags here. The bone all looks real, the teeth and roots all look real. The matrix doesn't seem to have been tampered with. I think this one's 100% real.

To me, those teeth are also unmistakable. Definitely Platecarpus ptychodon.

And I'll tentatively add that this looks like a right dentary/lower jaw on the top with a complete splenial on the right side and a left maxilla that's flipped over on the bottom half. Plus there's other jaw fragments and fish bones as well.

Go for it! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite