The Amateur Collecter

So.......I've recently gotten into fossil collecting. It's very addicting, I'll admit. :D

Anyway, I recently bought a neat little Kem Kem tooth that was supposedly listed as a "dromaeosaur" or "raptor" tooth. It wasn't too expensive, and of a decent size and quality, so if by chance it wasn't some sort of raptor tooth, I wasn't going to cry about wasting money. I have no idea why, since ignorance is bliss, but I had a sudden urge to look up identifying raptor teeth and stumbled across this impressive site (thank you for existing!!!!). I am now quite certain that my Kem Kem "dromaeosaur" tooth is most likely from some abelisaurid species, which I'm totally fine with since I was planning on buying one anyway. ;) I'll post pictures of it later, since I already own it and can (hopefully) have it identified to the most likely species at my leisure.

However, I stumbled across this tooth on my search for elusive raptor teeth. The seller has surprisingly (and respectably) titled it as an unclassified tooth from the Kem Kem area. To my amateur eyes, it looks like it might possibly belong to a raptor? It is supposedly 0.6 inch long. These are the only pictures the seller has provided so far, hopefully they will work. It looks like the mesial serrations (hopefully I'm using that right! New words, yay!) look like they curve slightly to the lingual surface at the base, at least to me.... I roughly sized up a picture of a ruler with millimeters to the pictures of the tooth. There are roughly 4 serrations per millimeter on the mesial side, and 3 per millimeter on the distal. What do you think? :) 

Lingual surface is the first picture, labial is the second. 

5a44d9935fb6e_raptortoot.thumb.jpg.344c8662f5a7fca7adba018871238bb9.jpg5a44d9ed85a91_raptortooth.thumb.jpg.f68d1b86969379a92b5b013436778e29.jpg

Edited by The Amateur Collecter

Nice tooth and welcome to the forum..  It definitely has the characteristics of a Dromaeosaurid like tooth with the different density of serrations on both edges, looks compressed and recurved.  You need to verify those counts (midline 5mm) when the tooth arrives with straight on photos of all sides including the base.  There is currently no Dromaeosaurid/raptor described from the Kem Kem but this one is interesting and new discoveries are bring made.  We know very little from this assemblage anything is currently possible.  Good pick-up

Just an fyi, in my opinion, there are currently no isolated theropod tooth from the Kem Kem that one can definitively ascribe to a species or even a genus.  All should at least be to a family level. 

• I found this Informative 2

I know about there being no definitive species in the Kem Kem area now, thanks to other posts on this site. I was mainly aiming for an in-the-family-of-target-dinosaur fossil. :) Your name has come up quite often. ;) Thank you for replying!!

I haven't bought it yet, which is why I literally just created an account to help either confirm or crush my hopes and dreams. :D I don't want to spend money on another undetermined tooth. Though I know all loose teeth have the chance of not being what they were sold as. 

However, your post has given me a glimmer of hope that it might be worth purchasing after all.... ^_^ 

7 hours ago, The Amateur Collecter said:

I haven't bought it yet, which is why I literally just created an account to help either confirm or crush my hopes and dreams

Sensible move. We do see people new to collecting buy then post here only to find out they’ve bought junk. Hope you get your tooth. :)