ivanbok

Ammonite Mosaic with a Cheap Digital Microscope

ivanbok

Hi everyone! 

Here's my first post on the forum, and I'd like to share an image of a little iron-replaced cretaceous-aged ammonite (unidentified species) which I have photographed recently using a $10 webcam-type digital "microscope". The image is created using a total of 70 individual frames stitched together using an automatic stitching software. The size of the ammonite is about an inch across. 

pano4_edited4.thumb.jpg.8fa2ed11b212e22fe11d14849e8dd2b2.jpg

As an added bonus, I took the photograph and used it to make some digital measurements to determine how close the shape fits to a logarithmic spiral. The image below gives a visual representation of where I took the data points from (a total of about 12 points). 

Slide1.thumb.jpg.a349f0a439da8f5d74a78bc1ce59cc29.jpg

Taking the data points and fitting them onto the logarithmic spiral equation, I get the following result:

Slide2.thumb.jpg.5515e96bd9e3ec4275559a6b9a0da3cc.jpg

Note that the axes were incorrectly labelled. The y-axis should be the angle in radians, and x-axis is the natural log of the radius. The close fit to the straight line does indicate that the spirals of the ammonite fossil is close to a perfect logarithmic spiral. 

Cheers!

Ivan

Spinosaurus

welcome to the forum! 

Sagebrush Steve

Nice photo and I like your analysis.  Could you share the model of the microscope, your stitching software, and maybe a photo of your setup?  Looks like it could be useful to many of us on the forum.

ivanbok

Thank you Spinosaurus and Sagebrush Steve. 

Here's a photo of the setup:

DSC_0335.thumb.JPG.f1e0cc4b99d77855c97df5cd7689a02b.JPG

The microscope does not seem to have a brand/model name, but I believe it is made by a Chinese OEM. There are quite a number of similar models on Amazon, however, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Microscope-Magnification-Endoscope-Magnifier/dp/B01DHVOGMG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1514523345&sr=8-8&keywords=digital+microscope

As for the software, I use AutoStitch by Dr Matthew Alun Brown. It is a free software that works for both mac and windows.