ivanbok

Ammonite Mosaic with a Cheap Digital Microscope

Spinosaurus

welcome to the forum! 

Sagebrush Steve

Nice photo and I like your analysis.  Could you share the model of the microscope, your stitching software, and maybe a photo of your setup?  Looks like it could be useful to many of us on the forum.

ivanbok

Thank you Spinosaurus and Sagebrush Steve. 

Here's a photo of the setup:

DSC_0335.thumb.JPG.f1e0cc4b99d77855c97df5cd7689a02b.JPG

The microscope does not seem to have a brand/model name, but I believe it is made by a Chinese OEM. There are quite a number of similar models on Amazon, however, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Microscope-Magnification-Endoscope-Magnifier/dp/B01DHVOGMG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1514523345&sr=8-8&keywords=digital+microscope

As for the software, I use AutoStitch by Dr Matthew Alun Brown. It is a free software that works for both mac and windows. 

aplomado

Nature is lovely!

(Well, some of the time...)

Ludwigia

I dunno much about axes, except that they're good for chopping wood :P But I do know what I like and I like that. Seriously though, nothing in nature is ever perfect. The best it can do is get close to the ideal. But that's why we strive to evolve, always trying to get a bit better, right? Thanks for posting this great photo and sharing your setup with us.

Aurelius

There are lots of those USB microscopes out there, many of which use the same external cases, but if you get one, try to get one with a good (not upscaled) resolution.