Found at Runswick Bay (UK)

cracker2k2

Hi,

I found this at Runswick Bay earlier today. I found a few other bona-fide fossils, but I wasn't entirely sure what this is. Bone... or just rock/pyrite? I was intrigued enough to not leave it!

Thanks,

Mark

20171228_193641.jpg

Hi Mark, good move picking it up. Better to bring home a rock than leave a fossil :) 

However in this case I think you have something geological although as you know Runswick Bay is a good place for fossils.

if you can post more pictures from different angles and some close ups so we can see if there’s any bone like structure that should confirm or deny.  

Thanks! I've posted some other pics below. As I say, I found some real fossils, so not too heartbroken if its 'just' geological :) 

20171228_210009.jpg

18 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Coprolite?

I see where you’re going Roger. There is a coprolite feel. @GeschWhat @Carl might confirm but much better and closer images would be needed Mark. A smartphone with a magnifying loupe can often produce better images than a regular camera which has a limited close focus. Lean on something to keep you hand steady to prevent camera shake. Photograph in bright light, outside (even in the UK this time of year!) is likely to be brighter than any normal indoor light unless you can get the artificial light nice and close. 

I'm not sure. I don't see anything that screams coprolite, but I'm unfamiliar with the area. A good scrub, and a magnified view might help. When I first saw it, I thought it looked more like limestone with a bit of iron, but it could just be the photos.

I don't see anything that suggests fossil in these pictures. Lots of iron staining and an interesting texture, but I think it is geological

Archived