There has not been a definite answer thus far for this

austinswamp

Good evening, my curiosity is getting the best of me. I know someone amongst this knowledgeable forum can give me some insight on this odd piece. I found this on a gravel bed where I have found xiphactinus vertebrae and various shark teeth. The creek runs through Travis county, Texas. Thanks

IMG_20171228_210953.jpg

I don’t know what it is either. Could it be a very worn down phosphatized nodule or concretions?

This one isn’t phosphatized, but you can get the idea.

345473F1-AD43-4C1C-BEF7-4555903B9F1E.jpeg.1cb3c657f6cc0162783b219b02d26361.jpeg

I wonder also if it could possibly be a nodule containing a clam or oyster like one of these or something similar with a very wavy shell. I do have some of these oysters that are just over 1 cm.EB51D24D-4CE9-497A-81B7-832EB81DCFE1.thumb.jpeg.6d399c9ec9248b265f02a9aae2615677.jpeg

16 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I haven't been able to find it, but wasn't something similar to this posted not too long ago? 

And there I said that it looks like a meandering sponge, not a meandering coral, if I remember correctly.

Here is a similar topic:

OK,  I found the topic.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 more for sponge.

Although I'm not expert on porifera and the specimen is worn and the texture cannot be "felt", I'd say that the “holes” that can be seen on the surface of the specimen look like oscula (the round openings of excurrent canals in some sponges, in Guettardiscypia, for example).  I'm pointing out to that genus because it's the only one  I know  well as it is quite common in my area, Eocene south-pyrenean basin, and it shows big parietal oscula. It is just a comment to support my vote for "sponge".

See  one  here and a diagram of incurrent and excurrent canals here

Pierrette

agree with porifera(Brachiolites) being a possibility

Figured here by Schrammen as Plocoscyphia

thyreopkyemampkemlexograitetmureuydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

compare also with this image

thyreopkyemampkemlexograitetmureuydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

tabtrkyjjemampemlexoguraitemureuydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

Archived