Medium sized Rancholabrean mammal radius?

BuchiTaton

Before anything, Hi everybody Im new here.

Well, I just found this "radius" like fossil in a load of pumice sand for construction. I dont know exactly from where it comes, but all around here is Rancholabrean pumice. 

At first sight it looked like a rib, but now I think is a radius (or maybe an ulna). Unfortunately both tips are missing. I know have the complete bone is necesary for a more specific determination, but I wonder if Order or Family level determination is possible.

I had compared with some pictures and the closer things I have now are some medium size feline, a "gracil" artiodactyl or even a human?!

Can somebody help me with this please?

medial.JPG

lateral.JPG

For those who do not know, the Rancholabrean is a North American land mammal age roughly contemporaneous with the mid-late Pleistocene. This does not look human to me, I’d say a cursorial animal, gut says herbivore for some reason. I knew my logic isn’t that scientific, but maybe someone else has a definitive answer, how about @Harry Pristis?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Can't help with the ID, but wanted to say a very warm welcome to the Forum from Morocco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome to TFF!

Without the ends of the bone there is little chance for a definitive ID. There are no diagnostic features.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks everybody.

With out the tips I had turned my attention to the form and proportions of the bone´s shaft.

For now the closer things I have are some carnivore like Lynx or Canis, an artiodactyl like Odocoileus (I cant find good pics to compare with Antilocapra) and the much more improbable Homo.

I could be very happy if we can achieve at least Order level.

30 minutes ago, BuchiTaton said:

Well :(, thank you anyway.

And happy new year to everybody!!!

Right back at you:)

keep looking for bones!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, BuchiTaton said:

Well :(, thank you anyway.

And happy new year to everybody!!!

And to you! 

Happy new year ! ! ! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived