BillyBayou

Awesome finds!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds, it’s almost too chilly for me to don a mask. Lucky we can get some digging in around here:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Very nice!!! I have heard good things about the Cooper river. Are the fossils you find as Meg centric as it  seems in this photo? I have an inordinate attraction to marine mammal. I do not find similar shaped teeth in the Peace River although I do find whale. Do you have an identification and size on this one?

CooperRiverWhale.JPG.b731a034e72721b51a0f301872bb3506.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

10 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds, it’s almost too chilly for me to don a mask. Lucky we can get some digging in around here:)

Water temp was 54 avg. We dove dry. The good thing about winter diving is there's not much competition. And honestly, we had nearly 2 feet of fiz (almost unheard of on the Cooper)

The photos are typical of what you find on the Cooper, from my experience.  Lots of Megs, GW, Mako, Tiger, etc

The whale, I'm told is not very common on this river. Our best SWAG is Squalodon.  I'm still trying to verify.

IMG_0028.JPG

Thanks, Billy

Here is a great TFF thread discussing the complexities of ancient dolphin and small whales on the eastern coast.

I am walking on a cloud because I have just found a Kogiopsis tooth yesterday. I will post it in another thread, not to take over yours.   2.5 Inches is a decent sized tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That’s some great information.   I’m still trying to learn and appreciate any guidance.  I’m hunting Calvert Cliffs in the morning.  It’s cold but that keeps the competition down.  Haha.  

I’ll look for your post

32 minutes ago, BillyBayou said:

That’s some great information.   I’m still trying to learn and appreciate any guidance.  I’m hunting Calvert Cliffs in the morning.  It’s cold but that keeps the competition down.  Haha.  

I’ll look for your post

I might go hunt down there tomorrow, I’ll try to come as the tide leaves. cold is good crowd repellent! I’ll probably be at brownies though, free this time of year and normally better than the cliffs sensu stricto. I’m always learning more about hunting down there from those more experienced than myself.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, WhodamanHD said:

I might go hunt down there tomorrow, I’ll try to come as the tide leaves. cold is good crowd repellent! I’ll probably be at brownies though, free this time of year and normally better than the cliffs sensu stricto. I’m always learning more about hunting down there from those more experienced than myself.

How did you fare? I didn't do well at all. Seems the cliffs don't give up much when frozen. And the ice prevented me from digging and sifting. Oh well... I'll wait for a thaw

27 minutes ago, BillyBayou said:

How did you fare? I didn't do well at all. Seems the cliffs don't give up much when frozen. And the ice prevented me from digging and sifting. Oh well... I'll wait for a thaw

Not well either, trip maker was small mammal tooth but shark teeth were scant and small. Here are the spoils:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice Charleston haul! Need to go diving myself sometime!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, smt126 said:

What is the round piece in the bottom left of the photo?

Vertebrae it seems

18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Not well either, trip maker was small mammal tooth but shark teeth were scant and small. Here are the spoils:

Very nice tooth.  Tough hunting for sure