Friday Night Trilobite Hunting

Nimravis

Tonight I decided to split some of the Georgia Cambrian Conasauga Formation matrix that I have.

IMG_9482.jpg.30e2a37fe24742c5c67c5e4bc1f73a92.jpg

Here are some of the complete/ near complete trilobites that I found.

IMG_9483.thumb.jpg.21d952df4799d81520c72f2476cb2467.jpgIMG_9468.thumb.jpg.c2d7f1bab8e02ebb18d623102525e9b8.jpgIMG_9469.thumb.jpg.68f95c0fbc9fe06982dc08c793ede2a8.jpgIMG_9470.thumb.jpg.4637a41e5b39809142bf90c98fa062fe.jpgIMG_9471.thumb.jpg.1d5ab1296e11edd866e0d39f8b36b734.jpgIMG_9472.thumb.jpg.e67fd8435a6c003998b46b29110e5fb0.jpg

Nice finds. I love when you get both sides together and a nice split.

I would say you had a great Friday night.

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Nice finds. I love when you get both sides together and a nice split.

I would say you had a great Friday night.

I agree with the splits- you get quite a few complete ones, but a lot more partials.

Some beautiful trilobite there Ralph. Not just the preservation but the colours of both the trilobites  and the matrix are just completely .:envy:

Thanks @Bobby Rico I just wish that there was more in this matrix other than the 2 species of trilobites that I find- it does get to be like “Groundhog Day”, but what the heck, it gives me something to do on a Friday night when it is cold and snowing out.

20 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks @Bobby Rico Friday night when it is cold and snowing out.

I always check Chicago on my weather app . It was -15 yesterday was that right. I have also got my night in sorted . I got a fun Mico Fossil kit in my Secret Santa of Doren. Never played with this sort of fossil hunting before. Looking forward to having a go. 

You never know they maybe some rare fossils to find in your Georgia matrix . If you had enough of them been around the house, just box them up and send them to me I will help you out . :D

What a great way to spend a cold evening!

I too enjoy discovering things at home,  ... in matrix I have collected elsewhere. :) 

Thanks for sharing your finds with us, Ralph. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some very nice and well preserved ones there! This is the kind of matrix where keeping the impression is worthwhile. Very much enjoyed these pictures, Ralph. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Really nice fossils.  I’ve never collected trilobites before.

Are the trilobites uniformly distributed throughout the formation or are there thin layers or lenses where they are concentrated?  When I take matrix from formations for vertebrate micros, some are pretty uniform.  It really doesn’t matter where you take the matrix.  Other formations have very thin layers or lenses (usually only a couple of inches thick) where the fossils are concentrated.  Collect the lenses and you find hundreds or even thousands of fossils.  Collect above or below these lenses and you may not find much at all.  I’ve learned over the years to recognize the lenses because they are often at contacts of different zones or formations or show evidence in color, texture, small gravel, visible fossils etc.  When you split your pieces is there a place to split them where the color or texture etc. is slightly different where you are more likely to find trilobites? 

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

There it is again! I have run across this term many times reading posts from members in the east.  What is this "snow"?  We have two seasons here, hot and cold with not much in between.

If I paid shipping, could you send me some? I think it would be fun to build a snowman in 80 degree weather.

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

There it is again! I have run across this term many times reading posts from members in the east.  What is this "snow"?  We have two seasons here, hot and cold with not much in between.

If I paid shipping, could you send me some? I think it would be fun to build a snowman in 80 degree weather.

Lol... We have quite literally tons we could send your way. :D 

Up here there are only two seasons: winter and construction. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

I always check Chicago on my weather app . It was -15 yesterday was that right. I have also got my night in sorted . I got a fun Mico Fossil kit in my Secret Santa of Doren. Never played with this sort of fossil hunting before. Looking forward to having a go. 

You never know they maybe some rare fossils to find in your Georgia matrix . If you had enough of them been around the house, just box them up and send them to me I will help you out . :D

Yes I have plenty to keep me going and I am going to be searching Micro stuff that I received from Don @sixgill pete and I will post something tonight. In regards to the micros that you received from Doren @caldigger , you will find some great stuff. Remember, do not toss the stuff that you searched, put it off to the side and re-search it 2 more separate times. I guarantee that you will find a ton of stuff that you missed- have fun.

50 minutes ago, Kane said:

Some very nice and well preserved ones there! This is the kind of matrix where keeping the impression is worthwhile. Very much enjoyed these pictures, Ralph. :) 

Thanks Kane

11 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Ha ha- in Chicago we also have to seasons- Winter and Construction, and I hate them both.

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Lol... We have quite literally tons we could send your way. :D 

Up here there are only two seasons: winter and construction. :P 

You stole my line- lol

@Bobby Rico I forgot to answer your question on the temp- here is my upcoming forecast, not too bad for January. Not too many places get colder as the sun comes up, but that’s what is in store for today.

766FC627-575E-4FB9-880C-14B957D05D1C.thumb.png.c8e7e97576c2e30d85d4c8ab2eddf409.png

Splitting matrix indoors is like unwrapping a holiday gift, with a similar anticipation. You made out well.

I think my thermometer is broken, it keeps showing nothing on the scale. Zero. It looks like a good day to search matrix. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Love doing things like this, but with my matrix you mostly get gastropods and crinoids (no trilos:trilo::(, still fun though). Nice finds:dinothumb: 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@MarcoSr this matrix has fossils throughout- if I have a piece that is 4” thick I might find trilobites in the first 1/4 “ and then again at the 1” mark and then at the 3 1/2” mark. I always wonder the time frame of deposition for this matrix.

As far as splitting, I have tried to split it with a knife, putty type knife and other thin blades type instruments, but I have no luck. The proven way for me is to hold in in my gloved left hand and strike it with a hammer along the plane lines with my right hand- it works, but after a couple hours does make my left hand sore as I do it to smaller pieces. There is no way that I am finding all of the trilobites that are enclosed, but I do get a lot. As with micros that I search, I put the pieces aside that yielded nothing and revisit later, I usually find more at that point.

37 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Splitting matrix indoors is like unwrapping a holiday gift, with a similar anticipation. You made out well.

I think my thermometer is broken, it keeps showing nothing on the scale. Zero. It looks like a good day to search matrix. 

I agree.

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Yes I have plenty to keep me going and I am going to be searching Micro stuff that I received from Don @sixgill pete and I will post something tonight. In regards to the micros that you received from Doren @caldigger , you will find some great stuff. Remember, do not toss the stuff that you searched, put it off to the side and re-search it 2 more separate times. I guarantee that you will find a ton of stuff that you missed- have fun.

Excellent advice.  I’ve also done this with Green River fish and found some interesting things I didn’t know I had when I brought home the slabs.

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Love doing things like this, but with my matrix you mostly get gastropods and crinoids (no trilos:trilo::(, still fun though). Nice finds:dinothumb: 

I bet you find some real nice items.

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I bet you find some real nice items.

The hashes are nice, got a few big slabs filled to the brim with things. That being said, I’ll keep chipping to the trilobite rears it’s armored head.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived