Drawing indoors because it's so cold outdoors.

fossilcrazy

I thought today would be a good day to stay inside, relax, keep warm and draw. The subject is Trilobite Pseudogygites latimarginatus, an Ordovician bug from Ontario. The graphic is more like a technical illustration than a cartoon drawing. It came out how I hoped, using textured paper, a 4B pencil, Charcoal pencil and an eraser.

PC290006.JPG

Great drawing, John.  :wub: 

Well done. 

Thanks for showing us your artistry.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Lovely detail! The 4B on textured paper gives it almost a kind of stippled effect. Well done! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow! Hold on, I gotta call Picasso, he told me he was searching for an assistant...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I am awed by anybody with artistic talents. If I tried to draw a trilobite it would probably look like a stick figure and if I tried to draw a stick figure it would probably look more like a trilobite. :P

I've had to rely on woodworking or photography to express my artistic side--making heavy use of the beauty of wood or the bounty of nature's many subjects to be the raw material that I could fashion into something pleasing to the eye. We have many artistic members on this forum and to see members like you and Charlie @fossilized6s create wonderful images using techniques and tools that reach back thousands of years simply fascinates me.

Cheers.

-Ken

Beautiful work, John. Very technical talent you're showing. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks for the accolades. Drawing is like fossil collecting; you start with baby steps before you learn to run. Being too critical of your attempts, will result in quitting, not improving. If you didn't find what you wanted on your very first fossil hunt; did you quit? Of course not, you're here at the Fossil Forum today aren't you.

Nice work, John.

For me it's not the discouragement that keeps me from doing things like this, it's lack of ambition (and lack of space!)... I know anything of quality takes a lot of work/time. It's like the old maxim, "I do 3 types of job - cheap, quick and good. You can have any two: good+quick won't be cheap, good+cheap won't be quick, and cheap+quick won't be good."

BTW the fossil pygidium you show seems to have a broader unfurrowed margin than the drawing - is this a difference between the outer and inner surfaces or just variability between individuals, or what?

Archived