Identification Help

Montana8

What type of fossil is this?  I've found specimens from 8inches to 30inches across in chalk cliffs in New Zealand.  Thank you for any advice.

DSCN4877.JPG

Hi there!

Welcome to TFF!

Where exactly in New Zealand was this found?  And, looking at the geological map below, could you identify which period your find comes from (e.g., Cretaceous? Jurassic? etc.)?  I'm thinking it could be a very weathered ammonite, but I am definitely not sure...

Thanks for sharing - let's see what the others here on TFF have to say about it...

Monica

geocan36_4ser01_fig1.jpg

(from https://journals.lib.unb.ca/journalimages/GEOCAN/2009/Vol_36/No_04/geocan36_4ser01_fig1.jpg)

• I found this Informative 2

Based on the visual evidence it looks like an ichnofossil, namely Zoophycos .

5a47940253f84_EarlyJurassictoLateCretaceousevolution_1.thumb.jpg.985603c34d49e66bd18b344ef7e3f96a.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are! :)

The New Zealand Zoophycos was described and illustrated by authors in the sixties -seventies (Stevens (1968) , Webby (1969) , Lewis (1970) , Fordyce (1976) ).

A more recent revision was A. A. Ekdale & D. W. Lewis .1991. The New Zealand Zoophycos revisited: Morphology, ethology, and paleoecology. Ichnos, 1: 183-194 .

Thanks Dave for the specimens from the North Island.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library