A new (slightly funny) look of the T-rex

Kasia

Definitely more realistic than the feathered variety, still a bit odd.  Hey if he's chasing you the only thing you're looking at is that jaw full of teeth.

21 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Definitely more realistic than the feathered variety, still a bit odd.  Hey if he's chasing you the only thing you're looking at is that jaw full of teeth.

Dear fellow member, what did I say about aggressive creatures? :) Maybe he would be chasing someone just to give him a big hug and purr like a cat after being petted? After all, I can imagine this huge jaw stretched in a smile :D

:rofl: 

I knew someone will finally believe that there was a totally different (cute) aspect of dinosaurs :) Troodon - welcome to the club!

Pretty interesting. Though I'm wondering how they got the colour for the head. The only preserved skin with scales we know of right now is from the neck, hips and tail. I'm also wondering if they finally found some actual dinofuzz on a T. rex specimen. The article shows some images of the T.rex Tristan in Berlin. I know there were some ongoing studies on that specimen, but I have no clue as to what about.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

33 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Pretty interesting. Though I'm wondering how they got the colour for the head. The only preserved skin with scales we know of right now is from the neck, hips and tail. I'm also wondering if they finally found some actual dinofuzz on a T. rex specimen. The article shows some images of the T.rex Tristan in Berlin. I know there were some ongoing studies on that specimen, but I have no clue as to what about.

Flat scales in the face were noted by Tom Carr in his Daspleto. paper

Interesting blog on the subject where Carr and Bell challenge the fuzz notion. 

http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2017/06/revenge-of-scaly-tyrannosaurus.html

Didn't that Daspletosaurus paper only talk about the skull itself and what that could tell about any possible scales? Not the actual remains of scales, or am I thinking of a different paper?

But yeah, I'm interested to see what this new documentary is based on, of if it's just an educated guess.

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Didn't that Daspletosaurus paper only talk about the skull itself and what that could tell about any possible scales? Not the actual remains of scales, or am I thinking of a different paper?

But yeah, I'm interested to see what this new documentary is based on, of if it's just an educated guess.

Correct the Daspleto paper talked about flat scales on the skull and proof of them.  Bells paper was post cranial.  Theories will continue to be brought forward and evolve,  just the way it is when it's not clear cut.  

Looks like a rocker. With those arms, though, he would probably have to stick to vocals.

Context is critical.

Mmmmmm. 

Interesting. 

I think that T. rex's prey would be so busy laughing at it's eyebrows that they'd collapse in a hysterical heap and be devoured. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Link to the full documentary. After watching it I'd say it's a pretty decent documentary. It presents the reconstruction as mostly hypothetical, which it mostly is, so that's good. Though Nanotyrannus is not named at all, it's implied that this documentary is firmly in the camp of Nano and T. rex being one single species. There's not a lot of really new science in this. But I suppose it's a good refresher for those that haven't been keeping up with Tyrannosaur research.

Also interesting to note they gave the rex lips, though they do not mention this.

23 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Link to the full documentary. After watching it I'd say it's a pretty decent documentary. It presents the reconstruction as mostly hypothetical, which it mostly is, so that's good. Though Nanotyrannus is not named at all, it's implied that this documentary is firmly in the camp of Nano and T. rex being one single species. There's not a lot of really new science in this. But I suppose it's a good refresher for those that haven't been keeping up with Tyrannosaur research.

Thomas Carr was not to pleased with the documentary

Screenshot_20180104-050103.thumb.jpg.67f0165d79401706fc9c0fc858a1b715.jpg

Yeah I saw that. I suppose you'll get a different T. rex depending on which expert you ask.

It seems at least some experts were involved in this documentary, like Larry Witmer and Dave Hone, who both definitely know their stuff.

https://twitter.com/SerpenIllus/status/948290824877608961

On 03/01/2018 at 12:06 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Also interesting to note they gave the rex lips, though they do not mention this.

Of course T rex had lips. How do you think they kissed each other:P

Archived