Adding shoe polish to Trilobites

LiamL

I was thinking about adding some black shoe polish to my trilobites so they show better and stand out from the matrix.

Is this a good idea?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

It should be easily reversible if you don't like the look. There are those who don't care for any restoration or embellishment and those who enjoy restoring fossils. It's only a good idea if you think you'd like the result. Try it on one of your smaller less-special bugs and see what you think. Show us pictures before (during) and after and maybe others will learn from your experiment--one way or the other.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Some professional prep folks I know use shoe polish to highlight theropod teeth and give them a low sheen.  It's reversible and the luster can be controlled by the amount of rubbing.  Now we dealing with enamel covered surfaces.  Try one and see if you like it. 

It looks better on those that have popped out of the matrix.

Before and after pic below.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Definitely an interesting result. 

1.thumb.jpeg-horz.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Black shoe polish and other black coatings are commonly used by Moroccan dealers on their trilobites, often to highlight details but sometimes used to conceal repairs. It is easily removable with acetone, just dab a paper towel and scrub the fossil (provided that it isn't fragile), or give it a diluted acetone bath. Personally, I prefer natural fossils, so I remove any coatings on mine, but it's up to personal preference what you do with your fossils. That said, it looks like you are coating Wheeler Shale Elrathia kingii trilobites, which can be given a natural black shine with a few minutes of prep to remove the gray shale left on the trilobites.

• I found this Informative 7

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

Here are afew more i did. 

Has the larger one on the bottom right hand side got a bite mark? Or just broken slightly?

Bite.png

• I found this Informative 2

If the pleura seem to terminate, it could be damage sustained from predation. We'd have to see it up close to be sure.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer