Foram from Santa Fe?

Max-fossils

Hi all,

So here is a foram that I found in the Santa Fe River in northern Florida. I got told that it is either Eocene or Pleistocene.

Well I know absolutely NOTHING about forams (the fact that they are single-called still confuses me! :P), so I ask your help: what species is this one, how old is it, and how exactly would it have lived/looked like when it was alive?

Thanks in advance,

Max

50340E0F-2DEA-4493-BA6B-F9E02FF98950.jpeg

CCEAF143-841E-4954-814E-20604EF52F31.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hard to tell without a better look at the pores and without matrix, but compare with the genus Archaias for a general idea. 

Amphistegina is another for comparison 

(I'm assuming the foram pictured is thin and disc like and the rest is attached matrix - if the whole thing is foram, then a more coralline example for comparison would be something like Homotrema)

22 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Hard to tell without a better look at the pores and without matrix, but compare with the genus Archaias for a general idea. 

Amphistegina is another for comparison 

(I'm assuming the foram pictured is thin and disc like and the rest is attached matrix - if the whole thing is foram, then a more coralline example for comparison would be something like Homotrema)

Alright great thanks a lot!

I think that the foram is indeed the disc. Should I maybe prep the whole thing so that only the disc remains?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Alright great thanks a lot!

I think that the foram is indeed the disc. Should I maybe prep the whole thing so that only the disc remains?

I should have looked more closely at your scale.  This is much bigger than I thought so not sure on ID.  I have never tried to prep a foram, but if I were to try to prep yours, I'd only prep the exposed side and I'd probably use a "soft" medium in an air abrader exclusively.  Hopefully others will chime in on ID and prep advice.

12 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I should have looked more closely at your scale.  This is much bigger than I thought so not sure on ID.  I have never tried to prep a foram, but if I were to try to prep yours, I'd only prep the exposed side and I'd probably use a "soft" medium in an air abrader exclusively.  Hopefully others will chime in on ID and prep advice.

The scale is in cm . Sorry if I didn't point that out earlier. 

Well I'll wait till someone chimes in soon.

Max Derème

Hi Max @Max-fossils!

Stephanie @sdsnl knows about forams, although I'm not sure if she still checks TFF regularly - if so, perhaps this call-out will bring her into the conversation :)

Happy Holidays!!!

Monica

On 12/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, Monica said:

Hi Max @Max-fossils!

Stephanie @sdsnl knows about forams, although I'm not sure if she still checks TFF regularly - if so, perhaps this call-out will bring her into the conversation :)

Happy Holidays!!!

Monica

Gah! Nearly completely missed your comment!

But thanks Monica for tagging her. Hopefully she will be able to shed some light on this piece! (Even though she hasn't been online in a year! :( Hope she is okay)

Max

Max Derème

• 4 months later...

@Plantguy Chris, as you know some stuff about Ocala Limestone forams, could you maybe help with this one? Thanks! :D

Max Derème

Hey Max, I've got some I've never identified similar to yours and I left them in matrix as I'm an attached matrix nut. Sorry I am aware of some of them but havent got the expertise nor have I asked/chased down an ID. Might need a sharper closeup as suggested earlier to ID yours and determine an age. MikeR or one of the others mentioned is your best bet. Here's an old previous post that Mike provided some info that might have some insight but I'm not entirely sure... @MikeR

Regards, Chris 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:49 AM, Plantguy said:

Hey Max, I've got some I've never identified similar to yours and I left them in matrix as I'm an attached matrix nut. Sorry I am aware of some of them but havent got the expertise nor have I asked/chased down an ID. Might need a sharper closeup as suggested earlier to ID yours and determine an age. MikeR or one of the others mentioned is your best bet. Here's an old previous post that Mike provided some info that might have some insight but I'm not entirely sure... @MikeR

Regards, Chris 

Well this is still really helpful, thanks Chris!

The age is Eocene btw (Ocala Limestone; no clue what stage of the Eocene though).

Max Derème

Archived