Cretaceous Shark Tooth from Waco

aek

I went to the Waco Research Area a few days ago and found my first shark tooth and some nice ammonites. I know nothing about shark teeth, any ideas on this one? 

IMG_2055.thumb.jpg.ec21da18e642cb8e03bf6c5ce3c156a8.jpg

Possible Cretolamna appendiculata, but I'm not great with shark teeth. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'd agree with Cretodus. The cusps just seem to be in the perfect size for one, and if it were to be Cretolamna, I would be expecting larger cusps. The shape of the root, the root-crown proportions, and the stretch of the crown itself also makes me lean towards Cretodus

Nice find!

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think this could be a Cretalamna lower anterior.  I don't see the wrinkles/vertical ridges on the basal part of the labial crown you would expect on a Cretodus.

I also think this is Cretalamna. I am not 100% sure, but it looks like C. ewelli, that is known from Coniacian of Kansas. Is it Cenomanian-Turonian? This tooth looks more similar to C. ewelli than to Cenomanian C. catoxodon or Turonian C. appendiculata.

Cenomanian—Campanian (Late Cretaceous) Mid-Palaeolatitude Sharks of Cretalamna appendiculata Type

The Tooth Fairy

2 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I also think this is Cretalamna. I am not 100% sure, but it looks like C. ewelli, that is known from Coniacian of Kansas. Is it Cenomanian-Turonian? This tooth looks more similar to C. ewelli than to Cenomanian C. catoxodon or Turonian C. appendiculata.

Cenomanian—Campanian (Late Cretaceous) Mid-Palaeolatitude Sharks of Cretalamna appendiculata Type

Thanks for the info! I believe the Waco Grayson Formation is Early Cenomanian.